Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uninstall LAMP?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

uninstall LAMP?

I think LAMP is using too much memory on my new little server, and I want to uninstall it. What is the command line code to do this? (aptitude doesn't work for me, too low on memory I guess.) Or perhaps, how do I make it not come up by default when the box comes on?

Aaron
    Dell Studio 1558, 6 gigs RAM, i5-460M processor, dual core, hyperthreading, 10.10 primary, W7 in Virtualbox, learning, please tell me where to find the manual, Keep in touch. <><

Beans

Re: uninstall LAMP?

How much RAM do you have?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    How much RAM do you have?
    256 Megs...
    Dell Studio 1558, 6 gigs RAM, i5-460M processor, dual core, hyperthreading, 10.10 primary, W7 in Virtualbox, learning, please tell me where to find the manual, Keep in touch. <><

Beans

You can remove it with....

Code:
    sudo tasksel
    and unselect LAMP should do the job.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I tried the tasksel, and thanks to my small memory (I think) the GUI messed up on the second down arrow I hit. It gave me a "General error mounting filesystems. A Maintenance shell will now be started, CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and re-try."

So what now? Is there a simple command to turn off the related applications, as opposed to uninstalling them?

Beans

You may have to add more RAM, you are too far ahead of yourself due to impatience.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    You may have to add more RAM, you are too far ahead of yourself due to impatience.
    One line responses that have little meaning to those inquiring tend to aggravate impatience.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aaronchall View Post
    So what now? Is there a simple command to turn off the related applications, as opposed to uninstalling them?
    So, yeah, I guess this is where I'm at. I don't really think of this as a chat room with an hour plus lag, I think of it more as a BBS type forum.

So, what is the "kill" command, and how do I list the processes that are running to shut them down and see how much memory I reclaim.

And if the error isn't related to memory, what is it? The GUI appears frozen, so I opened another tty (terminal?) and free tells me I have 14/250K system memory free...

If I can't get this to work well, I'm going to try Damn Small Linux instead, because I might be able to use a GUI with it, plus Samba... or maybe just NASlite...
    Last edited by aaronchall; November 16th, 2009 at 06:40 AM. Reason: my last resort...

Beans

What version is it? If tasksel isn't working too well for you try this:

You can stop and permanently "switch off" LAMP (well the AM* component) by running:

Code:
    sudo invoke-rc.d mysql stop
    sudo invoke-rc.d apache2 stop
    sudo update-rc.d -f apache2 remove
    sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove
    update-rc.d doesn't check if the links exist, so make sure each command has more than one line of output (you might assume that it worked as it says "Removing any system startup links for blah")

it should look like this :

Code:

Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/apache2 ...
       /etc/rc0.d/K09apache2
       /etc/rc1.d/K09apache2
       /etc/rc2.d/S91apache2
       /etc/rc3.d/S91apache2
       /etc/rc4.d/S91apache2
       /etc/rc5.d/S91apache2
       /etc/rc6.d/K09apache2

Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/mysql ...
       /etc/rc0.d/K21mysql
       /etc/rc1.d/K21mysql
       /etc/rc2.d/S19mysql
       /etc/rc3.d/S19mysql
       /etc/rc4.d/S19mysql
       /etc/rc5.d/S19mysql
       /etc/rc6.d/K21mysql
    If you want to uninstall the AMP constituents :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove mysql-common apache2* php5-common
    You may need to run sudo apt-get autoremove after that to remove the unused packages (Just remember to carefully read what autoremove is suggesting be removed)

Alternatively, based on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP you can try :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apache2.2-common libapache2-mod-php5 libapr1 libaprutil1 libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libmysqlclient15off libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl libpq5 mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server mysql-server-5.0 php5-common php5-mysql
    This is a surgical removal, what i suggested was more of a carpet bomb. Either way should work fine
    Last edited by Goobie81; November 16th, 2009 at 08:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, a lot, really, that was helpful! Really, all I suppose I need to do is stop them, at least for the time being. But removal may be a good idea too, if they're going to keep starting up by default.

I think the carpet bomb approach will be the best for removal, since I can't cut and paste, and bomb is equivalent in terms of results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast