Thread: NVidia Driver and low-graphics mode

Beans

Question NVidia Driver and low-graphics mode

When I open System>Administration>NVIDIA X Server Settings, this is the message I get
    " You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server. "

When I try to do this, I get the following message on a black screen "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode. Your screen and graphics card could not be detected correctly. You have to configure the display yourself"

Then I do this and no changes are effected. In addition I no longer have sound. Would this be related to the Nvidia card?

I use Ubuntu 8.4 on a rebuilt Dell from Freegeek Vancouver. I would appreciate help working this through step by step

Beans

Re: NVidia Driver and low-graphics mode

First just to check, can you look under System > Administration > Hardware Drivers to check the driver is in use?

Or did you install the drivers another way?

Beans

Re: NVidia Driver and low-graphics mode

Quote Originally Posted by themusicalduck View Post
    First just to check, can you look under System > Administration > Hardware Drivers to check the driver is in use?

Or did you install the drivers another way?
    I found that it was not in use and enabled it, thanks to your suggestion. I entered the command for the Nvidia Server Settings and rebooted. The Nvidia Server Settings now read as they should.

Now the problem to be solved is the Sound. I have no sound at all. Any advice what to check for sound?