Thread: Wireless Delimma

Beans

Thumbs down Wireless Delimma

We've been having a debate at school (tech-school) with my one teacher who is not very familiar with Linux. He's a hardcore typical Win guy. Anyway, he's always explainin' how Win is better than Linux and has better networking functionality, etc. Lol, of course I disagreed. Long story, short.

Anyway, here's a question for him... and for you guys... maybe you can help me out not just why this happens... but how to fix it too.

In Win (XP Home) the wireless card (external) does not work anymore 99% of the time. I have repair the connection a couple times, restart the computer, and then repair it one more time for it to work.
    In Linux, the wireless card DOES work 99% of the time. Without rebooting or repairing or any crap. It's only not worked once.
    So therefore, is it hardware or OS related. He can't claim the card needs replaced... it works just fine in Linux. Is this an OS prob? What's the deal? What's your feel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Wireless Delimma

Usually I have found that older hardware has amazing support under just about every distro out there. Windows eventually loses support for that and as other things change within an installation of windows older (and sometimes newer) hardware tends to not always work right.

I wouldn't necessarily say that this proves either better. I can say that what works under linux usually REALLY works. On your windows side I would suggest updating your drivers for the card.

As you use windows and linux (not just ubuntu) you will be able to blow him out of the water with your knowledge. I just think about how the guys on the Computer Action Show (used to be Linux Action Show) would put it, Microsoft is a business and they will do things that are good for business, linux is made by people that want more than that, ask Linus he wants his kernel to be perfect and yells at anyone that disagrees.

You know what might really show him? give him a CD with ubuntu on it. And say, "It cost me $3.99 you can try it out if you would like"
    It's funny to think how underdeveloped the world is, really makes it easier for a developer to get ahead.

Linux User: #461968

Beans

that makes sense what you said about updating the driver. thanks.

3.99? Thought it was free. Maybe 99 cents at the least for the cost of the CD-R
    Last edited by kakashi_12; October 27th, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

Beans

wow. dang, you were right. that fixed it. thanks so much. that was getting so annoying before.
    Last edited by kakashi_12; October 27th, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi_12 View Post
    We've been having a debate at school (tech-school) with my one teacher who is not very familiar with Linux. He's a hardcore typical Win guy. Anyway, he's always explainin' how Win is better than Linux and has better networking functionality, etc. Lol, of course I disagreed. Long story, short.
    Whether or not ******* is better for networking is debatable. But it is certainly easier.
    The GuiGuy
    Free is only good when it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi_12 View Post
    wow. damn, you were right. that fixed it. thanks so much. that was getting so annoying before.
    A windows problem solved on the ubuntuforums I like it!
    It's funny to think how underdeveloped the world is, really makes it easier for a developer to get ahead.

Linux User: #461968

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fir3chi3f View Post
    A windows problem solved on the ubuntuforums I like it!
    darn straight, i love it too! hahaa.
    Last edited by kakashi_12; October 27th, 2011 at 11:37 PM.