Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRUB loading. Problem

Beans

GRUB loading. Problem

I decided to try Ubuntu and installed the newest version on an IMB ThinkPad that has Windows XP. I did the install using the side-by-side option. When rebooting, got to screen to select which to use, but nothing happened no matter what I clicked on. So, I did a reinstall.
    Now, after the initial ThinkPad screen, I get the following:

GRUB Loading.
    error: no such partition
    grub rescue>

Can anyone tell me what to enter here? I have no idea and have searched through this forum but can't find the same issue.

Thanks for your help.

Beans

Re: GRUB loading. Problem

If you can boot the live CD choose try Ubuntu without changes to your computer and then from the "Live Desktop" follow the steps in this link to post the results of the Boot Info Script:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    If you can boot the live CD choose try Ubuntu without changes to your computer and then from the "Live Desktop" follow the steps in this link to post the results of the Boot Info Script:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280
    Nope, can't even boot. Just the initial screen then the GRUB screen. Have tried with the CD in at start and then putting it in when I get this screen, and nothing.
    (I'm using another comp to post here).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Your grub is pointing to the old grub, which is now deleted.
    Best way to fix this is to use your Windows XP CD. Once you have it, boot off of it by changing your boot priority. After loading, enter the Recovery Console when it gives you the choice (usually you have to press R). From there, type 'fixmbr' into the command prompt. Then restart and remove your XP CD.

**To change the boot priority, you will have to enter your BIOS setup when you first start your computer. Usually there will be some indication of what to press. Inside the setup, you need to change the boot priority so that CD/DVD is above hard disk. Once you've done that, just make sure to save and exit.
    Last edited by Buuntu; November 11th, 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Crosboro View Post
    Nope, can't even boot. Just the initial screen then the GRUB screen. Have tried with the CD in at start and then putting it in when I get this screen, and nothing.
    (I'm using another comp to post here).
    Well you were obviously able to boot the live CD to install. I'm saying if you can get the live CD in again (should be possible to open the CD tray even while stalled as you describe), and then reboot (even if it means a hard reboot) then you should get the options screen again:

004.png

Note: Image shamelessly stolen from Herman's Dual Boot Guide:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/index.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Buuntu View Post
    Your grub is pointing to the old grub, which is now deleted.
    Best way to fix this is to use your Windows XP CD. Once you have it, boot off of it by changing your boot priority. After loading, enter the Recovery Console when it gives you the choice (usually you have to press R). From there, type 'fixmbr' into the command prompt. Then restart and remove your XP CD.

**To change the boot priority, you will have to enter your BIOS setup when you first start your computer. Usually there will be some indication of what to press. Inside the setup, you need to change the boot priority so that CD/DVD is above hard disk. Once you've done that, just make sure to save and exit.
    Unfortunately, the XP CD is long gone--the comp is 5 years old and who knows where the CD is. That's why I tried Ubuntu on this one, as I was just keeping it as a back-up.
    That being said, I don't understand why this would be the "old grub", as I downloaded the latest version. I did change the boot order, but that didn't help.
    Thanks for trying.

Beans

Well you were obviously able to boot the live CD to install. I'm saying if you can get the live CD in again (should be possible to open the CD tray even while stalled as you describe), and then reboot (even if it means a hard reboot) then you should get the options screen again:

004.png

I was able to boot after the first installation, but after the second, was no longer able to. I've tried with the CD in when I turn it on as well as after it starts, but still get only the initial and "grub" screens.
    Thanks for trying.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

You have to change the boot order so CD is listed above your hard disk.

I recommend downloading a pirated version of XP then if you no longer have one, it can be a big help when dealing with a dual boot. I don't mean to encourage piracy but it will be helpful ^^.

Beans

004.png

Ok, tried again today and found I had not moved the proper CD drive to the top of the list. Did so and was able to get into Ubuntu using the trial basis. I was going to install it again, and see that it's already installed twice, but they don't work. So, I'm downloading it again and do another install. Meanwhile, any input on how I can delet the two installations already there? Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Crosboro View Post
    Ok, tried again today and found I had not moved the proper CD drive to the top of the list. Did so and was able to get into Ubuntu using the trial basis. I was going to install it again, and see that it's already installed twice, but they don't work. So, I'm downloading it again and do another install. Meanwhile, any input on how I can delet the two installations already there? Thanks.
    Well you're making a very huge mess!

Now that you can boot the Live CD please post the output of:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    BTW that's a lower case L.

That will give us a starting point.

If you're impatient you'll only end up with a bigger mess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast