Thread: How do I boot Ubuntu manually from GRUB?

Beans

How do I boot Ubuntu manually from GRUB?

I am having a problem with booting Ubuntu. When I try to do so, I am met with a GRUB commandline. I have the feeling that I have to boot the kernel manually from there, by typing "linux [kernel name]". If this is the case, would anyone know what I should type as the name of the kernel?

I use a dual boot with Ubuntu 9.10, installed by Wubi. I did force quit before this problem occured, because I had problems with rebooting. I also had this problem when I first installed Ubuntu 9.10 (I reinstalled it instead of upgrading from 9.04), but I solved it by reinstalling it again, because it was an option back then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: How do I boot Ubuntu manually from GRUB?

You said you installed 9.10 using Wubi -- so which MS Windows OS did you install it inside? XP, Vista, or Seven?
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Try this.
    Code:
        insmod ext2
        set root=(hd0,1)
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro   quiet splash
        initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    This is assuming that Ubuntu is installed on the first partition of the first drive in the machine. If it isn't, you will need to edit the (hd0,1) and root=/dev/sda1 parts accordingly. Also, if you have a previous kernel version, you will need to type your version.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    You said you installed 9.10 using Wubi -- so which MS Windows OS did you install it inside? XP, Vista, or Seven?
    I suppose that would be relevant information. It was XP Professional.

Quote Originally Posted by undecim View Post
    Try this.
    Code:
        insmod ext2
        set root=(hd0,1)
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro   quiet splash
        initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    This is assuming that Ubuntu is installed on the first partition of the first drive in the machine. If it isn't, you will need to edit the (hd0,1) and root=/dev/sda1 parts accordingly. Also, if you have a previous kernel version, you will need to type your version.
    Thank you, but it didn't work. I probably typed in the wrong kernel version. I don't know exactly what version I have. Is there any way to find out through GRUB or a live-CD? I downloaded it on 31 October, if that can be used to find it out.

I notice that I accidentally labelled this with "kubuntu" instead of "ubuntu. Why do I always appear so silly when I join a new forum?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

Tab completion may help you not misspell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And if your on a laptop with a recovery partition you may have to modify the lines as so:
    Code:
    insmod ntfs
    set root=(hd0,2)
    loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
    set root=(loop0)
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root+/dev/sda2 loop=/ubuntu/disks\ /root.disk ro quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans

When I try to boot my kernel with the linux command, the file is not found. Tab completion doesn't work.

I don't know what kernel version I have, and I don't know whether I have a recovery partition or not. I do however know that I have a laptop. How do I find out about my kernel and partition?