Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Better 32 or 64 bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Better 32 or 64 bit?

Another satisfied 64bit user. It's definitely a lot better than it used to be way back when. Give it a shot.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: Better 32 or 64 bit?

Ok guys, I see you like 64 bits. That's cool.
    But, from a dev point of view the only advantage of 64 bit if you have more than 4gb memory.
    Or is it that all the 64 bit compiled application come with optimizations/more registers as default (gcc -march=i686 instead of -march=i386) and thus are faster on modern CPUs?

Because opposed to that we have for sure some downsides, like bigger executables, some issues with 32/64 bits libraries and most of precompiled packets are for 32 bits...

Really, apart 64 is better than 32, any other proper reason?

Cheers,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

CPU intensive tasks like video encoding complete much faster with a 64-bit OS on the same hardware, up to 50% faster.
    That's a huge performance increase for zero cash outlay.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

"Better" is not the word I would use; "easier" is how I look at it. Currently 32bit is easier to manage than 64bit, but that said, 64bit is closing the gap at a pretty rapid pace, indeed I look forward to using it as my main version before too much longer.

Beans

Yes but 64bit support is still flaky, its still not where I need it to be.
    I dont care about speed boosts when I need certain apps to work and there are a few apps that are 32bit only.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuele_Z View Post
    I've read that flash doesn't properly work yet and wma 9 don't play...
    Flash works most of the time. Sometimes what happens though is that the actual Flash object wont' load. But all you have to do is close your browser and reopen it to the page you wanted to view.
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    I dont care about speed boosts when I need certain apps to work and there are a few apps that are 32bit only.
    Why does 64 bit Windows allow you to install 32 bit apps but Linux won't?

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by blueshiftoverwatch View Post
    Flash works most of the time. Sometimes what happens though is that the actual Flash object wont' load. But all you have to do is close your browser and reopen it to the page you wanted to view.

Why does 64 bit Windows allow you to install 32 bit apps but Linux won't?
    Of course you can install 32 bit apps. And if the .deb doesn't work, you can compile them again, from source. Easy Peasy.
    Flash 64 bit alpha works fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I use 64-bit if my processor supports it. All the machines I have minus 1 are 64-bit.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

64bit ftw

Quote Originally Posted by NoaHall View Post
    Of course you can install 32 bit apps. And if the .deb doesn't work, you can compile them again, from source. Easy Peasy.
    Flash 64 bit alpha works fine.
    You can compile if you have the source, but this is not always the case. Skype provides a debian package for 64bit with the 32bit binaries and depends on the 32 libs wrapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you type something like "Better 64-bit 32-bit" into Google, it brings you to a benchmark that was done pretty methodically by the looks of things which suggests that 64-bit Ubuntu had improved performance in a lot of it's tests. Hard Disk lack of performance will never be something that 64 or 32 or 128 bit will beat (SSD's should help) but intensive CPU performance based tests like video encoding, MP3 ripping, photo editing etc. in most cases showed up to be faster.

Realistically the effect is very negligible, I doubt you'll notice in ordinary everyday things.

In regards compatibility issues, I have never found it to be the case that 64-bit is less compatible with regards flash or WMA9 support (are you talking about the format or the actual player?). 64-bit is becoming uber-popular now with most CPU's being able to support it and the cheapness of RAM has meant over 4GB is going in a lot of units now so those issues are all but gone as far as I can see. I run 64-bit Ubuntu's more than 32-bit and NEVER have any problems.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast