Thread: What exactly happens when a release reaches EOL?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What exactly happens when a release reaches EOL?

Hey, all!

I have always kept up with the latest Ubuntu release, but I have to offer support to those who do not (usually because they are not online and/or the current release works fine for them). I am wondering, what exactly happens when a release reaches EOL? I am fairly certain that the repositories go offline, but does this mean I cannot install any software without first upgrading? I understand that there is a method for upgrading EOL releases, but what if I want to stick with the EOL? What are my options?

Thanks in advance!
    -mac
    Myth: Linux is only usable with a persistent Internet connection. WRONG!
    You can use Keryx to download your .debs with dependencies from any OS!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What exactly happens when a release reaches EOL?

There will be no updates after a version EOL's and the repositories end up here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mac9416 View Post
    I am wondering, what exactly happens when a release reaches EOL? I am fairly certain that the repositories go offline, but does this mean I cannot install any software without first upgrading?
    No, it doesn't mean that you cannot install any software. As long as you have the .deb package and any relevant dependancies for that particular release. You will find each releases .deb files at packages.ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK, thank y'all.

So, as I undrstand it, all software that was once in the repositories is kept in old-releases.ubuntu.com after a release reaches EOL. It is just not kept up-to-date. That's fine, because the folks who run EOL releases aren't worried about having the latest-and-greatest anyway.

After Googleing around, I was unable to find this info where I figured it ought to be. Perhaps it should be added here? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    Or maybe put in its own Wiki page? I'd add it myself, but I'm a bit of a Wiki noob.

Anyway, thanks again!
    Myth: Linux is only usable with a persistent Internet connection. WRONG!
    You can use Keryx to download your .debs with dependencies from any OS!