Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Get started with MySql

Beans

Get started with MySql

Anyone got any recommendations for getting started with MySql. I've had some experience with MSSql Server.
    Ubuntu User number is # 33337, Linux Registered User #531864, Boot info script, Wireless info script

Beans

Re: Get started with MySql

Install it and head over to the mysql.com site and click on the Developer link and the documentation section.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by defkewl

Thanks. I've been there, and it is generally useful. I'm really looking for a small tutorial like article to get me started. Some that goes through an install, how to configure the Administrator, start/stop service, and setup an existing database.
    Ubuntu User number is # 33337, Linux Registered User #531864, Boot info script, Wireless info script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/MySQL/Beg...ySQL-Tutorial/

Although MySQL is often touted as a great beginner SQL database system (and I agree), be aware of SQLite (good for templating and simple stuff) and Postgres (for when you start _really_ learning SQL).

dataw0lf
    -
    About Me
    Joshua "stderr / dataw0lf" Simpson, CCIE R&S and Security, RHCE

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dataw0lf
    http://www.devshed.com/c/a/MySQL/Beg...ySQL-Tutorial/

Although MySQL is often touted as a great beginner SQL database system (and I agree), be aware of SQLite (good for templating and simple stuff) and Postgres (for when you start _really_ learning SQL).

dataw0lf

Thanks dataw0lf!

I'm ok with sql, I work with MS SqlServer, access, and I have done some work (a while back) on Oracle. So using the command-line for sql is now almost forgotten.

Firebird looks ok too....

Beans

Getting started with MySQL is really easy. First you want to install the mysql server. Then you can start the server with this command:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
    Then, because intially the root user has no password, we want to set the password like this:

Code:
    mysqladmin -u root password myPassword
    You can now login to the mysql server with this:

Code:
    mysql -u root -p
    You'll need to type in the password that you entered earlier.

Every new MySQL install has 2 databases: mysql and test. Do NOT screw up your mysql database because here is where all the permission and user info is. The test DB is for you to play around with. As was mentioned earlier the MySQL documentation is excellent. That's the main reason I prefer it over the other 2 mentioned above (maybe their docs are better nowadays.) You'll probably want to set up a new user next. The MySQL docs can help you there.

You mentioned that you're familiar with SQL, so you should be able to play around now.

Chris

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blixtra
    Getting started with MySQL is really easy. First you want to install the mysql server. Then you can start the server with this command:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
    Then, because intially the root user has no password, we want to set the password like this:

Code:
    mysqladmin -u root password myPassword
    You can now login to the mysql server with this:

Code:
    mysql -u root -p
    You'll need to type in the password that you entered earlier.

Every new MySQL install has 2 databases: mysql and test. Do NOT screw up your mysql database because here is where all the permission and user info is. The test DB is for you to play around with. As was mentioned earlier the MySQL documentation is excellent. That's the main reason I prefer it over the other 2 mentioned above (maybe their docs are better nowadays.) You'll probably want to set up a new user next. The MySQL docs can help you there.

You mentioned that you're familiar with SQL, so you should be able to play around now.

Chris
    Thanks Chris. Much appreciated. I'll be trying this out today...

Beans

Smile Re: Get started with MySql

Well it's quick, isn't it! And on windows too! (this comment is for v4.1)

Does anyone know when v5, with StoredProcs will be out? I can't it to install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For what it's worth, I found the following MySQL tutorial extremely helpful. It's written for both windows and linux users and takes you all the way from installation to all the basic tasks of using and administering databases. I highly recommend it to someone who wants to learn MySQL but doesn't know where to start.

http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tu...ing_mysql.php3

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast