Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microphone Problem Karmic

Beans

Re: Microphone Problem Karmic SOLVED

You are welcome Nick.

I have finally solved my mic problem. This may help you. And it may help anyone who has the same problem.

I went in to Gnome ALSA Mixer

The following Boxes Checked:
    => Tone
    => 3D Control - Switch
    => Surround Phase Inversion
    => ICE958 Optical Raw
    => Sigmatel 4-Speaker Stereo

*** CRUCIAL: Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack MUST NOT BE CHECKED! ***

I found To Use Microphone [Skype, Sound Recorder]
    Sound Preferences (Or Applications | Pulse Volume Control | Configuration) :
    Hardware: Profile - Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input
    NOTE: When anything Digital is on, the mic is NOT working.

I went into Terminal. typed alsamixer as well. Made sure the mic was not muted.

And my mic started working. I then tried setting Hardware Profile to various different settings. Some had very weak sound from the mic, and some no sound.

I also found that To capture a stream in Audacity:
    Sound Preferences:
    Hardware: Profile - Must be set to Any of the Analog Stereo Output choices.

I hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Microphone Problem Karmic SOLVED

Thanks Allen,

I seem to have a different Gnome ALSA mixer, mine doesn't give me those boxes. I'll go back to the terminal to check zacchary what I have there....I do want to get Sound Recorder going plus sound in Movie player.

Dozen madder, I'm copying your post to store for future reference & study.

It has been a hot day here & I've been stymied by not being able to access the Forum for some technical reason...I'm not going to do anything until I've had some R & R.

I think you will have helped many tho', as frustrating as it has been.

Cheers...Nicko
    Some days are diamonds....
    Some days are coal....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Microphone Problem Karmic

Hi everyone!
    I had the same problem as all of you. I solved my mic issues by going to a terminal and typing 'alsamixer', this took me to the alsa mixer console. There I configured the mic the way you can see in the picture. In order to try it out in realtime, I had my 'sound preferences' on screen to see what combination would make it tick and some music playing so I wouldn't have to keep saying 'testing testing testing' while trying the different combinations. Note: I also used the 'microphone 2' in sound preferences.
    This works then for a HP Pavilion DV4 1220us, ATi 3200, Turion X2 64 bit under Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 64bit.

Post again, I may be of some help!
    By the way, you navigate the mixer with the arrows and change 'on/off' values with m and 'up' and 'down'.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zampes; December 10th, 2009 at 08:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks zampes,

Being a new computer user, there's a lot for me to learn...it took me a few minutes to realise that 'arrows' are on the keyboard...opened both alsamixer & alsamixergui in Terminal and I find that I can work on some but not all of the controls.

I don't have Pulse so I can't open Pref.->Sound....I'm going to live with this situation at the moment.

When I open alsamixer in Terminal, I'd like to open 'All' not just 'Playback'...I might get to use Sound Recorder then.

I can use both Front Mic & Mic...I have my headset on Front and run my Walkman & stereo thru' the Mic without problems at the moment...I have good Audio with Skype & Amarok so the problem is not urgent at present but I would like to resolve it in the future.

Thanks again, it's more knowledge for me.

Cheers...Nicko
    Some days are diamonds....
    Some days are coal....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And now, on a second try the morning after, the solution I proposed earlier doesn't work either...
    Sorry guys, it really did work last night, but using skype this morning everything died again...

---
    Damn!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by zampes View Post
    And now, on a second try the morning after, the solution I proposed earlier doesn't work either...
    Sorry guys, it really did work last night, but using skype this morning everything died again...
    Keep in mind that PulseAudio resets ALSA's mixer settings every time it is launched. If you want your customized mixer settings to persist between sessions, you have to remove PulseAudio.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123