Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot connect wireless canon mp620

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation Cannot connect wireless canon mp620

I have been desperatley trying to set up my Acer laptop (Karmic) for wireless printing but cannot get it to work at all. Can anyone help?
    Intel 2750 3.0g, ram 4g 800mhz, Wd 500 gb sata2, wd ide 160gb, XFX 8800 GT r2.0.
    DB- Windows Vista HP 64, Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat 64b.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot connect wireless canon mp620

I've been working on the same thing with my MP620 on Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64 and have not gotten anywhere. Do you mean how to configure it to the wifi network without using their useless proprietary software? Next time make sure to provide more info on what exactly your problem is and system specs, help others help you.

If you can't get it connected wirelessly, Canon told me it is impossible... so 20 minutes later I solved it myself with the help of nmap. Just connect your printer to the router with a patch cable and note what IP it is at. Punch http://[ip address here] into your browser. From there you can easily enter your router info so that you can then connect it wirelessly.

Once you do that, your printer is still going to be useless but at least you can mess with it. If you're on 32 bit architecture you can use this guide but if you're on 64, you'll have to wait for the community to find a solution.

Here is one thread trying to solve it but there are many more.
    I hear; I forget. I see; I remember. I do; I understand. -Chinese proverb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks BigBananaMan, (dude that's weird to say/type/whatever)

You're tip for setting the IP and the guide from Michael-Krueger's blogspot that you posted worked great. I'm printing and scanning now. Now to go repeat these actions on three more computers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Thumbs up Re: Cannot connect wireless canon mp620

I have (finally) managed to install my Canon MP620 over WLAN using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx AMD 64-Bit version. The trick was to combine several tutorials (Luca Gibelli, Holger Metzger, Leon Atkinson) and put things in the right order. Thanks Guys! At least it now works for me!

The Canon drivers are built for a 32-bit architecture, so we have to do some additional actions to make it work.

First open up a terminal and install the ia32-libs as the drivers would require these:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    The Canon drivers are looking for libcupsys2, so download a transitional dummy package from Jaunty and install it.
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/al...psys2/download

Then download the drivers from Canon Support Australia website:

IJ Printer Driver Ver. 2.80 for Linux(debian Common package)

IJ Printer Driver Ver. 2.80 for Linux(debian Package for the MP610 series)

In the terminal, go to the directory where you have saved the files and install the drivers using the commands
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture –force-all cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture –force-all cnijfilter-mp610series_2.80-1_i386.deb
    The next step is to install the CUPS 64-bit drivers from Sourceforge; as there are no Debs you have to install alien for conversion
    sudo apt-get install alien

Here are the links to the drivers:
    cups-bjnp 0.5.4 file released: cups-bjnp-0.5.4-1.fc10.x86_64.rpm
    cups-bjnp 0.5.4 file released: cups-bjnp-debuginfo-0.5.4-1.fc10.x86_64.rpm
    You can install them using the commands:
    sudo alien -i cups-bjnp-0.5.4-1.fc10.x86_64.rpm
    sudo alien -i cups-bjnp-debuginfo-0.5.4-1.fc10.x86_64.rpm

Download the ppd files from Sourceforge and copy the ppd and conf file to the proper location:
    ppdMP620-630en-1.5.tar.gz

sudo cp canonmp620-630en.ppd /usr/share/ppd/
    sudo cp cifmp610.conf /usr/lib/bjlib/

Now restart CUPS:
    sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart

Turn on the printer and check that you can ping it from your PC.
    Open CUPS web interface in your browser: http://localhost:631
    Choose “Add Printer” and wait for some 30 seconds.
    On the following page you will be able to choose the “Device”. Pull down the list of Discovered Network Printers and select the following entry:
    Canon MP620 series <ip address> (Canon MP620 series)
    Select and press Continue, fill in the admin and move to the next page.
    Select Canon MP620-630 series Ver.2.80en (en) and press Add Printer

This should do the trick.

From this point Scanning works pretty much out-of-the box, provided that you first install XSANE. I have used Synaptic to do so.
    Last edited by ubuking; May 15th, 2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: update
    Ubuntu user# 24394

Machine: Intel Core i5 750 / 2x 2GB DDR3 / MSI P55-GD65 / Nvidia GTS-450 / OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W / Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat / Windows 7 Ultimate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you so much for this post. I'll admit, it's been a long day and it took me a couple minutes to realize I needed to save the i386 files, then get to that directory in terminal before running the force architecture, but it worked. For the first time, I'm printing wirelessly in Ubuntu. I've always been happy Ubuntu, but now I love it. Thank you again. This worked, just like you said it would.

Beans

ubuking, thanks for the steps... unfortunately, I get to be one of those people that printer detection just simply won't work for.

No matter what I seem to do, looking for my MP620 just doesn't work -- cups can't find it. And I followed your instructions to the letter, so I really don't know what the problem is.

Now, keep in mind, I can print by manually setting up the printer. That works fine.. but without being able to detect it, I can't scan.

I feel like there should be some way to manually set a network scanner in xsane, but I can't seem to find a way to do it..

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had that problem, could print but couldn't scan. Mine turned out to be because I had them on two different networks. Canon was on the wireless network so all my laptops scanned and printed, but desktop on the wired network could only print, not scan. Apparently the printing packets can cross the router but not the scanning packets. I don't know if this is the same issue you're having but it's something to try.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ubuking View Post
    I have (finally) managed to install my Canon MP620 over WLAN using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx AMD 64-Bit version. The trick was to combine several tutorials (Luca Gibelli, Holger Metzger, Leon Atkinson) and put things in the right order. Thanks Guys! At least it now works for me!
    ubuking, thank you for combining tutorials for this byzantine method in a comprehensible way, it worked perfectly for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

THANK YOU UBUKING! Using your tutorial to install the printer was as easy as using the provided drivers in Windows. The first time I installed these it took me the better part of 90 minutes (unfortunately I didn't take notes). The second time it took me maybe 10 minutes using your instructions. Thank you again!

To get it to work on mine, I had to make two small adjustments to the instructions, maybe this will help someone else...

Original:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture –force-all cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture –force-all cnijfilter-mp610series_2.80-1_i386.deb
    Modified:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-common_2.80-1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-mp610series_2.80-1_i386.deb
    Ubuntu 10.04
    Phenom II 955BE - Radeon 4870x2 - 8GB DDR3 - 2x Barracuda 1.5TB RAID 1 - Barracuda 750 GB - WB Green 1TB
    www.jellisontech.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm back and I need help. I moved from Wubi to a dedicated partition and need to set up the printer, again. I followed everything as I did before, including using the modified code posted by e4uforums, but I still can't see the printer. The main thing I noticed this time is that the very first step, ia32-libs, gives the error message

laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package ia32-libs

I've tried a work around for this and still can't get anything to work. Does anyone have any ideas? Please help. Thank you.

Workaround:
    cd /tmp
    wget http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/po...u6.1_amd64.deb
    dpkg-deb -x ia32-libs_2.7ubuntu6.1_amd64.deb ia32-libs
    sudo cp ia32-libs/usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5.0.7 /usr/lib32/
    cd /usr/lib32
    sudo ln -s libstdc++.so.5.0.7 libstdc++.so.5

***This is corrected, please see the next post
    Last edited by tgraczyk; July 21st, 2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast