Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOWTO: Install and Run DVDfab Decrypter with wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Install and Run DVDfab Decrypter with wine

All I did was download dvdfab 8, drag it to the programs folder in wine.(updated wine from ppa).
    Double clicked it and went through the install wizard and it started immediately and loaded the dvd I forgot was in my drive.
    Last edited by Vege 4wd; October 25th, 2010 at 12:07 PM.

Beans

Hey, can I just use the mfc42.dll from windows 7?

Beans

I know this is an older thread, but has anyone got the newer Qt based versions of DVDfab to work in wine. The most current version I've got to work in DVDfab 8.0.0.2, everything after that is listed as DVDfabQtX.X.X.X. and tries to launch but fails.
    What I'm dealin' with:
    HP Pavilion G6-1D60US, dual booted: Ubuntu 16.04 64bit, & Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, 640 gig HDD, 4 gig RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks for the info. Just a thought though; why use DVDFab on WINE? In my experience DVDFab has a lower success rate at ripping disks than MakeMKV or Handbrake (or DVDRIP or K9Copy or DVD9-5 or...) While DVDFab does has some nice options for transcoding files, I've found that it is less capable than free software like FFMPEG/WinFF, Handbrake, VLC, etc...
    It just seems like a lot of work to accomplish something that can be done easier, faster and with better results using free and natively supported software.

Beans

I think it's pretty easy to use Makemkv and then Handbrake, for ripping dvd and bluray on Ubuntu.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO: Install and Run DVDfab Decrypter with wine

This is quite funny. I am using basically the exact same tutorial in 2013, more than half a decade later, and it works just fine in Wine on Ubuntu 12.04-amd64 inside a VirtualBox VM running on Windows 7 64bit, ripping directly to a network share mounted as shared folder in the VM. I copied the Windows 7 C:\windows\system32\mfc42.dll to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 as well as to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system (because some tutorial said system yet the original file was located in system32, so i wasn't sure which target folder). I'm doing this because I don't really trust the software to be free of malware/spyware, therefore the multilayer setup.. Well, it just works
    Last edited by cmaiyem; January 10th, 2013 at 08:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12