Thread: My comprehensive list of boot questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My comprehensive list of boot questions

These are questions I need answers to, hopefully very specific step by step answers. I've made several posts that wander around, so hopefully I can get all my answers in one nice package here.

1. Are there any known bugs with installing 9.10 on a RAID array? Is there any workaround? What are the links to the bugs?

1a. What is /dev/mapper? Is this an acceptable partition to install to?

2. With Ubuntu 9.04 installed on a machine, why does the 9.10 installer report that there are no operating systems installed on the PC? Is this related to the RAID setup?

3. What is Busybody? If you are dropped to a busybody prompt (<initramfs>) has Ubuntu loaded?

4. If all your PC will boot to is the Busybody prompt, if I use the live CD what files, and what parts of those files, should I be checking/editing to make the PC find the operating system and boot to it?

5. If installing 9.10 fresh from CD, can you name a partitioning scheme that can be set up manually that will work? List mount points, grub install place, ext format, partition type (logical/primary) that is needed.

6. Grub error 2. What should I check to find the problem?

7. Will installing the 32 bit version of 9.10 onto an AMD64 machine create problems? (never has with 9.04)

8. In Bios, where will a raid setup appear? I've been through every entry in my Bios and do not see RAID mentioned anywhere, not even as an option.

9. Does 8. mean I will have to physically change my hard drives in the machine to change the RAID setup?

Hopefully if I can get enough of these answered, I'll solve various different issues getting 9.10 to boot up.
    Learn something new and have fun every day! Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: My comprehensive list of boot questions

my apologies, wrong forum, reposting in correct forum, pls ignore this thread or mods pls delete it
    Learn something new and have fun every day! Ubuntu!