Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove items from "Files & Folders" in 9.10NR ?

Beans

How to remove items from "Files & Folders" in 9.10NR ?

The "Connect to server" panel applet saves its bookmarks into the "Files and Folders" section of the Karmic Netbook Remix GUI.

How do you edit or remove these? I saved a couple of server bookmarks that for whatever reason do not work (they give a short "connecting" message and then nothing), and would like to remove them. Problem is I can't find a way to do this; right-clicking on the item does not offer a delete option, and Files & Folders does not appear to be in the menu editor. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to remove items from "Files & Folders" in 9.10NR ?

try opening your home folder...click the main menu in the left corner of the top panel > places > home folder

when the home folder opens, scroll down in the left column and you will see the bookmarks at the bottom.

there you can just right-click them and choose "remove"

hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

And if one isn't trying to delete bookmarked entries, but the other ones; e.g., Documents, Pictures, etc.?
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

Beans

How do you remove items that are not on the list? I would like to get rid of "Desktop" and Examples". Deleting the original folder doesn't help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Not sure about Desktop but Examples can be removed by deleting or renaming examples.desktop in your home folder, e.g.:

cd ~
    mv examples.desktop examples.desktop.old

Beans

I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled across it as I was trying to solve the same problem.

It appears as if they files and folders you see on the Main Menu are just your bookmarks set in Nautilus, so just go to Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks and remove what you don't want to show up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bryanosaurus View Post
    It appears as if they files and folders you see on the Main Menu are just your bookmarks set in Nautilus, so just go to Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks and remove what you don't want to show up.
    "Desktop" and "Examples" (and ~/ for it matters) are not bookmarks set in Nautilus, therefore cannot be removed that way.
    Last edited by jarreboum; July 19th, 2010 at 12:57 PM.

Beans

Same problem with Ubuntu Netbook Editon 10.04? Any solutions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jarreboum View Post
    "Desktop" and "Examples" (and ~/ for it matters) are not bookmarks set in Nautilus, therefore cannot be removed that way.
    In my install, "Downloads" is also non-removable that way...

I have already deleted ALL bookmarks (~/.gtk-bookmarks is empty) and still 4 entries remain in my "Files & Folders":
    - ~/ ($HOME)
    - Desktop
    - Downloads
    - Examples

Home dir and desktop are ok, but i really want to remove Downloads and Examples. And NO, deleting the folders is NOT an acceptable solution. Downloads is used as FireFox default download folder, and Examples... well, i may find it useful in the future. All i want is to remove their ENTRIES in the "Files & Folders" menu. How can i edit (and remove) those "special treatment" entries?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Digging up further, i solved the "Examples" issue...

Looks like launcher is hard-coded to search for a file ~/examples.desktop and, if it is present, it shows up in the Files & Folders section. That file is a "desktop entry" type of file, a sort of "link" that points to /usr/share/example-content/

So, if i dont want that entry to appear, i have the following choices regarding ~/examples.desktop file:

- Delete it. After logout/login, the entry in the menu is gone, and the folder is still intact at /usr/share/example-content/. But i do lose the link to it that was avaliable in home folder.

- Rename it, to something like ~/_examples.desktop (or ~/anything.desktop). Launcher wont add it to Files & Folders after login, and i still keep the link to Examples dir in my home folder when using Nautilus. And the link is still called "Examples", since the filename is irrelevant for .desktop files

- Edit it, so it points somewhere else. It is a plain text file, can be edited with gedit. Changing Name and URL entries change its name and location in both Nautilus and Laucher.

Personally, i renamed the file to ~/exemplos.desktop , and problem solved.

More info:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/423601

Ill research now the "Downloads" icon...

And, by the way, found out another issue:
    - You can delete all BUT ONE of your bokmarks. If you delete them all, Launcher (or Nautilus, or xdg-user-dirs-update) re-creates ALL of them! Quite annoying!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast