Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which filesystem is faster?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Smile which filesystem is faster?

just would like to know if i should go with jfs,ext4,xfs or what?, i mean which is the fastest?
    Donald Smouse Jr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: which filesystem is faster?

if you just want speed.. XFS is awesome, only you will lose data if you lose power. It's also hugely complex and nobody knows how to fix it properly.

I would recommend btrfs, it mounts by default with barriers which provides a good additional data safety assurance. It is featureful, performance is quite good and you have plenty of developer and vendor buy in to the model meaning fixes and testing will be done swiftly.

downsides include being still some what in early adopter state and lacking easily available boot loader support.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pacco View Post
    just would like to know if i should go with jfs,ext4,xfs or what?, i mean which is the fastest?
    Depends on what your needs are!
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    if you just want speed.. XFS is awesome, only you will lose data if you lose power. It's also hugely complex and nobody knows how to fix it properly.
    I have my virtual machines on an XFS partition because it's good at handling large files and the multi-gigabyte virtial hard drives are each represented as one file.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pacco View Post
    Depends on what you're doing.
    You really should google benchmarks of filesystems..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I haven't noticed any stunning differences in speed, as a user, which for me is more relevant than a benchmark.

What is a real pain in the rear end is lack of support for resizing and moving.
    I recently got stuck with an XFS that the latest version of gparted couldn't move or resize.

jfs and xfs have no support for moving, shrinking, growing from a livecd which is what you normally need to boot from if you want to mess with partitions.
    If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.
    Dalai Lama

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jeffus_il View Post
    I recently got stuck with an XFS that the latest version of gparted couldn't move or resize.
    Can't you just delete the XFS partition and "resize" it by creating a new partition?

Beans

i found xfs to be snail-like. reiser is wicked fast for most things, but can be oddly slow in some instances.
    thank you, dan henderson.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Cool Re: which filesystem is faster?

Thank you all for your quick reply's

I was wanting awsome speed with stability to handle large files. read/write performance.
    Donald Smouse Jr

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post

I would recommend btrfs, it mounts by default with barriers which provides a good additional data safety assurance. It is featureful, performance is quite good and you have plenty of developer and vendor buy in to the model meaning fixes and testing will be done swiftly.

downsides include being still some what in early adopter state and lacking easily available boot loader support.
    Are you using btrfs?

I just had a look at the wiki:

v0.19 Released (June 2009) For 2.6.31-rc

The time it has taken since that update indicates that (most likely) it has become quite reliable.

On the home front (so to speak), I use JFS, but changed some of my partitions to Ext3, because Ext3 for Mac allows me to very reliably access those partitions.

On FreeNAS I use UFS.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast