Thread: Empathy still immature

Beans

Empathy still immature

I've been investigating Empathy for a day and I'm realizing that it is very immature. I think it should be versioned 0.28. instead of 2.28 Its lacking some of basic functionality which is absolutely necessary in a shared computer.
    e.g.
    • Disabling logging conversations (which should be the default!)
    • Option to enter the password every time instead of saving to keyring. (which should be the default!)
    • Single sided video or audio
    • Proper notifications when a user requests to be adding to the list
    • Blocking/unblocking contacts
    • Show offline messages
    • Send offline messages
    • Winks, Nudges, animated smilies

I've found those in a couple of hours, and not really trying to be picky, I can just guess that there are other areas where it's lacking.

I am sure that someone will get burned by not realizing that it logs all the conversations without even a warning.

Hopefully bringing it to Gnome 2.2 will speed up the maturity. I just think that people should be forewarned that this is still pretty beta.

Beans

Re: Empathy still immature

Quote Originally Posted by rarsa View Post
    I've been investigating Empathy for a day and I'm realizing that it is very immature. I think it should be versioned 0.28. instead of 2.28 Its lacking some of basic functionality which is absolutely necessary in a shared computer.
    e.g.
    • Disabling logging conversations (which should be the default!)
    • Option to enter the password every time instead of saving to keyring. (which should be the default!)
    • Single sided video or audio
    • Proper notifications when a user requests to be adding to the list
    • Blocking/unblocking contacts
    • Show offline messages
    • Send offline messages
    • Winks, Nudges, animated smilies

I've found those in a couple of hours, and not really trying to be picky, I can just guess that there are other areas where it's lacking.

I am sure that someone will get burned by not realizing that it logs all the conversations without even a warning.

Hopefully bringing it to Gnome 2.2 will speed up the maturity. I just think that people should be forewarned that this is still pretty beta.
    I think the same. Any of both Emesene or Pidgin should be the default messenger client for ubuntu! is there anywhere I can make such a proposal?

Beans

Re: Empathy still immature

The problem with suggesting making emesene or amsn is that they handle only one protocol.

Pidgin was the default before but it has the same problem where you cannot just log-in without creating and account.

As for sending recommendations

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com

Before submitting a reply always check if it has already been recommended.