Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow Internet or Slow Firefox ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Slow Internet or Slow Firefox ?

After my upgrade to karmic, my internet has been extremely slow. Sometimes not even fully loading the page. Both my desktop and laptop are experiencing this. Not even craigslist is loading correctly. I was trying to not have to post this thinking that there was a fix coming but nothing so far. What the heck is the prob?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Slow Internet or Slow Firefox ?

Grab a jaunty CD and boot from that. That should tell you if something is up with karmic or not.

Be sure to reboot your cable modem, then your router. Sometimes that will help.

Also, go to http://speedtest.net in both jaunty and karmic on the same computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How certain are you that your upgrade completed ... successfully?

Boot from the 9.10 CD. Surf a bit. Still seem slow?
    sı ɯǝ1qoɹd ɹnoʎ ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs ı ʞuıɥʇ ı

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by fluffman86 View Post
    Grab a jaunty CD and boot from that. That should tell you if something is up with karmic or not.

Be sure to reboot your cable modem, then your router. Sometimes that will help.

Also, go to http://speedtest.net in both jaunty and karmic on the same computer.
    Uh. No it won't. That'll tell him if apples are the same as oranges. I can do that without booting a Jaunty CD.

Boot a 9.10 CD and test your surfability. If it's good, I would backup my data and do a clean install of 9.10...
    sı ɯǝ1qoɹd ɹnoʎ ʇɐɥʍ ǝǝs ı ʞuıɥʇ ı

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

meh, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Lightbulb Re: Slow Internet or Slow Firefox ?

Have you tried using a different browser or bittorrent to see if it is Firefox? Check this link

If not Firefox, I'm +1 for clean install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

See Solution [FOT005] from the Troubleshooting section of the Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread.

Also see Simple Firefox DNS Hacks To Boost Performance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm using Karmic with the Adobe 64 bit flash player plugin installed in Firefox, and I also suffered fron slow page downloads. I found that disabling ipv6 in Firefox solved the problem for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by Minsky View Post
    I'm using Karmic with the Adobe 64 bit flash player plugin installed in Firefox, and I also suffered fron slow page downloads. I found that disabling ipv6 in Firefox solved the problem for me.
    That cured the symptoms (in Firefox) but didn't solve the problem. If the IPv6 issue is affecting you it may very well affect other parts of the system that need to access the internet.

The problem could be with your router firmware, your ISP, or - I don't know where. Disabling IPv6 is a good diagnostic test but hardly a solution. You may want to dig deeper. Good luck!
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I think that the cause of my problem was that I'm connected to the internet using a usb mobile broadband modem, and that Ubuntu may not support the ivp6 protocol for these modems. I'm basing this on the fact that there aren't any ipv6 settings available for mobile broadband in Network Connections but there is a tab for ipv4 settings. If I'm wrong, I'd be grateful for more info on how to solve this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast