Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Insert disc Uu-Server 9.10 _KK_ in the drive '/cdrom/'"

Beans

Re: "Insert disc Uu-Server 9.10 _KK_ in the drive '/cdrom/'"

I am seeing the same error on a Dell Inspiron 530, I set my SATA mode to RAID (AHCI) still doesnt work. One thing I noticed was that the it is generating the apt/sources.list as _Karmic Koala_ while the cdrom-detect shows it as "Karmic Koala". I am wondering if this is the issue why it is failing there?

Beans

I managed to get this to work by following a few steps:

1. sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list (use nano or vim or something if you dont use vi)
    2. find the line:

deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 9.10 _Karmic Koala_ - Release i386 (20091027.2)]/ karmic main restricted

add a hash (#) at the start to comment it out. Don't delete it incase you find yourself without a net connection and a need to install something from the cd repoisitory one day
    The new line should read:

#deb cdrom:[Ubuntu-Server 9.10 _Karmic Koala_ - Release i386 (20091027.2)]/ karmic main restricted

save and quit.

3. Update aptitude - we've just changed it's conf file so need to get apt to update its sources. Type:
    sudo apt-get update

4. Try and install your package - the one i was having an issue with was "whois". Even when I *removed* the cd drive it would ask for the disc. Got it installed after following these steps from online repositories.

Hope this helps anyone who had the same issue.

Beans

After selecting guided use entire disk and continuing instead of writing I selected no and changed the ext4 to ext3 and had no probs from there on.

that's how I overcame the bootstrap warning on my Dell poweredge 600SC using Ubuntu server 9.10

All I know is that my machine did not like EXT4 but was happy with EXT3 so if someone can tell me if that is a good thing or not as I am a newbie to Linux

Regards

Sligoman
    Last edited by sligoman; April 22nd, 2010 at 01:20 PM.

Beans

All I know is that my machine did not like EXT4 but was happy with EXT3 so if someone can tell me if that is a good thing or not as I am a newbie to Linux
    as i understand it, there isn't really much difference from the user's perspective between Ext3 and Ext4. to explain the differences would require one more knowledgeable than I.

no real drawbacks anyway.
    is that meant to be toni iomi? ^^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12