Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: openssl via ssh?

Beans

Re: openssl via ssh?

Code:
    error_reporting (E_ALL);
    ...yielded no changes! Perhaps I do not have execute privileges....

Are there diff. levels of privilege where .php is concerned - i.e. I can only run "simple" scripts - but if I attempt to run "executables" - I would not be able to - I need to be assigned the specific privilege to execute?

Thanks, again, for walking me through this....

Edit: Perhaps it's not a .php issue re: execute - but a domain/user privileges issue?
    Last edited by maclenin; November 11th, 2009 at 10:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Usually php scripts have the same permissions as the user that the server process uses. This user is usually named "psaserv" -typical for plesk- or "www-data" -this is the case of ubuntu server- or "apache" or stuff like that.

More fine-grain permissions can ve given via .htaccess files and the like, but usually it's just equal to the server user. So if for some reason you can't execute files, second thing to check is if you can do it by loging in with the server username and trying to execute that command. It's very possible you won't be able because of lack of permissions, just like from the PHP script. You will have to do this through SSH though, so not an option for you.

There is also the possibility that your account is chrooted, this effectively denies you access to the real server root as you will only see a fake one. Or even being restricted by a defined open_basedir in PHP directly.

But anyway like said before, first stip is to get openssh installed

Good luck!
    Last edited by McCoy; November 12th, 2009 at 12:26 AM.

Beans

Thanks McCoy for your perseverance! I learned a bunch these past few days! I plan to take your knowledge with me when I start managing my own server "farm".... For now, I continue to test my .php scripts via 127.0.0.1 - with amplomb!

Thanks, again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12