Thread: Unable to reinstall apache2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unable to reinstall apache2

I did something horribly wrong just now; I removed the /etc/apache2 directory while the package already was installed (I thought it wasn't). Now I'm unable to neither uninstall, install nor reinstall the package. What should I do?

By the way: I am using Ubuntu Server 9.04.

This also made my Transmission WebGUI stop working.
    Last edited by mocka; November 10th, 2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Note

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Unable to reinstall apache2

I think that directory will be recreated by fixing the package. If so, this should reconfigure it:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure apache2
    If not, you may need to reinstall apache2, which is probably easiest to do via synaptic or apt-get
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --reinstall apache2
    There's lots of detail on both commands, as I'm sure you know if you're running the server version , by entering "man dpkg" or "man apt-get" (without quotes) as commands in a terminal.

Beans
    Distro

I have tried to do as you say but the system think it as installed the package - although it hasn't (there is no apache2 directories created or whatsoever). Is my best bet to reinstall the whole system (I'd rather not)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

No, you shouldn't have to do a clean install just to get apache2 back.

Both apt-get and dpkg have "purge" options, which throws out every last bit of a package, including config files. dpkg has various "force" options as well which you have to know what you're doing to use. I don't, so I never have, but the command "man dpkg" describes it all. Not in a way that made me confident enough to use it, but still, it's there.

Hopefully, somebody who actually knows how to do this will jump in. My guess would be:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge apache2
    And then reinstall via synaptic, or "sudo apt-get install apache2".

Beans
    Distro

I agree, that sounds unreasonable. Although I have also tried "sudo apt-get --purge remove apache2" it hasn't helped at all. I'm tired of it all so I'll finish a script that installs all my packages and reinstall the whole ubuntu. Thank you for the help anyway.

EDIT: I made it.

For those interested or anyone who stumbles upon this thread with the same problem, this is how:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge apache2.2-common
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get install apache2
    Thanks to the participants in this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=471003
    Last edited by mocka; November 13th, 2009 at 11:32 PM. Reason: We love google, don't we?!