Thread: Mystery Wireless Keyboard Logictech s520 suddenly worked. Then...

Beans

Mystery Wireless Keyboard Logictech s520 suddenly worked. Then...

I bought a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. I plugged in the usb receiver and followed the directions. Nothing happened. I left it plugged in and continued to use the PS2 keyboard while trying to resolve the issue. During this time I decided to upgrade to ubuntu 9.10. When my machine began to configure for the upgrade, prior to the actual download I happened to jostle the wireless mouse and noticed that the cursor moved. I tried the keyboard and it also worked. I continued the upgrade and all worked perfectly. Sadly I was using my windows partition to view a streaming netflix film (pretty much the only reason I have windows!) and left the machine on over night. Windows did some kind of automated system upgrade(hate them!!!) and in the morning the keyboard and mouse no longer worked.I tried to undo the windows upgrade but it did not change anything. I have searched and experimented but to no avail.

I have an HP Pavillion ADM 64 Dual Core
    S 520 wirele3ss keyboard and mouse.
    Ubuntu 9.10

Any idea exactly what gets disabled prior to an upgrade that might effect change in the behavior? Would the answer be in Xorg The device is being detected. I ran dmesg on the advice from another forum the receiver keyboard and mouse are there. I am not that familiar with editing the configuration files so I would appreciate some direction.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Mystery Wireless Keyboard Logictech s520 suddenly worked. Then...

Ahh I see why no ones tried to help you on your post.
    Honestly its little confusing what you are trying to say.

System Questions:
    1) Are you trying to run the Wireless Keyboard/Mouse under Windows or Linux?
    2) What type of wireless controller is it? Fairly sure its USB, but is it InfaRed, Bluetooth or regular cheaper radio transmitter type?

Let us know and we may be able to better help.

- Exo
    Linux User: 380654
    CIW Certified Internet Web Professional: 435668

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Does the keyboard work in windows?

Beans

Sorry for the confusion. It is USB. Initially it did not work. It began to work as my system was readied for upgrade. I believe something was disabled during this that removed some kind of conflict. Ideally I would like to use the keyboard in both Linux and Windows. It was working in both until windows did some kind of upgrade. That is my guess as it was working when I went to sleep and when I awoke windows had automatically upgraded and the mouse and keyboard were non responsive.

The USB receiver, mouse and keyboard seem to be detected.

I bought a cheap USB keyboard so I could use the machine. In my glee over the wireless working I got rid of the PS/2 keyboard and mouse. Perhaps this is causing further difficulties I am not sure.

I really appreciate your time and help.