Thread: Battery charge disappears suddenly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Battery charge disappears suddenly

I can't tell if I have an Ubuntu problem or a hardware problem, but there is certainly some sort of problem.

I have a laptop running Ubuntu Jaunty, with a thingy on the desktop panel in the lower right-hand corner to tell me how full the battery is. When I turn it on without plugging it in, it will start out showing 99% battery charge. Naturally, this starts going down slowly; however (and this happens almost every time) it will suddenly skip from eighty-something percent to 3%. Then the computer automatically shuts down.

The first time this occurred, I thought I had somehow lost track of time and let the battery discharge. I have now several times seen the marker skip directly from 83% to 3%. Charge cannot simply disappear like that; where can it be going?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Battery charge disappears suddenly

Anyone?

Beans
    Distro

I shall bump this one more time and then give up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

this is probably a hardware problem- had the same thing with my laptop - need to send in - luckily it's still under warranty!
    #### The funny thing about common sense, is that it's not all that common!

Beans
    Distro

Mine's not under warranty, hasn't been for a long time. I am trying to decide between just ignoring it and using the laptop only plugged in, and opening it up myself using some instructions I found on a website to see if anything is obviously wrong with the battery connection or with the fan, since it occasionally overheats, too.

Beans

This is most likely an issue with the battery. If a battery has bad cells it tends to do this. Eventually, gnome-power-manager will tell you that you have a bad battery. You can try and use a different battery (cheep on ebay) to see if that is it or if a friend has a similar laptop, use that battery.