Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kdevelop only available in version 4 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

kdevelop only available in version 4 ?

Hi Ubuntu folks,

as i do not know where to put this, i hope someone will shed some light on this topic for me.

Currently, only Kdevelop4 is distributed with Ubuntu (yes, Ubuntu - the gnome one. I have been running kdev in Ubuntu for over a year without a problem).

My question is, why does a stable version of Ubuntu (9.10) ONLY deploy a BETA version of a software (as of Nov 4, kdev is in beta6). Deployed in 9.10 is beta5, from august '09 (73 known bugs which are fixed to beta6, and probably more to be found)

The reason why i am bringing this up is that kdev is (currently) breaking any development which has been previously been done with kdev 3.5. Since this is not offered anymore, anybody wishing to develop with 9.10. Firstly, there is no automake to cmake conversion, and the automake module for kdev has not been compiled in (because it is beta - go figure). So the cmake files have to be written manually - for a bigger project (like mine) this is a total pain (but i have done it - and they kind of work by now - after a day of reading cmake manuals - and no, the scripts supplied on the cmake page DO NOT work correctly). Secondly, the bugs still in the current version are pretty heavy (example: when pressing F9 for debuging, it does not work. In addition, F9 is also assigned to another random function, rendering it ambiguous for the next time until it is manually deleted from the shortcuts - this is REALLY annoying)

So, why does a beta version get distributed in a stable version of ubuntu without the option of using the "old" or "stable" one or in other words - why is there no kdevelop3.5 package ?

PS: i bet nobody answers this
    Calvin: I'm being educated against my will! My rights are being trampled!
    Hobbes: Is it a right to remain ignorant?
    Calvin: I don't know, but I refuse to find out!

Beans

Re: kdevelop only available in version 4 ?

I'm running into pretty severe problems with KDevelop 4, too.

Have you found any documentation for it? Everything I've seen on the KDevelop site is for version 3. I haven't even figured out how to get the execute button to light up for the sample Hello World program it generates as a C++ default new application.

KDevelop is my main application. I may have to roll back to Ubuntu 9.04 on this one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i've tried to only roll back kdevelop. As gnome does not depend on the KDE libs, i can just install the "old" versions of the packages. However, this is a huge task (after manually installing about 30 packages i gave up, since the old version of kdevelop started but the menus were all screwed up. I could not fix this at all... so i have to agree that the only option is a roll-back to 9.04 or 8.04.

I would be very interested in someone explaining why the choice was done to only include kdevelop4 without any legacy support...
    Calvin: I'm being educated against my will! My rights are being trampled!
    Hobbes: Is it a right to remain ignorant?
    Calvin: I don't know, but I refuse to find out!

Beans

I'm having similar problems with KDevelop4.

I've spent some time trying to get a several hundred file CMake project ported into a new kdevel4 project, since the kdevel3 project files don't seem to work. And I still can't get it right - I don't know where to pick the build type, configure doesn't work and has to be done manually, etc.

I've also been looking around online to try to find out how to rollback to KDevelop3 - I'm pretty sure that we're not the only developers who use Ubuntu and KDevelop - but I can't seem to find a thing (except for this).

If you guys find a solution, please come back here and give us an update, and I'll do the same.

Thanks.

Beans

I suspect rolling back to version 3 is difficult. It requires QT and KDE < 4.0. This may be why Ubuntu shipped with a beta version of KDevelop; to keep supporting KDevelop 3, they'd also have had to continue supporting back versions of QT and KDE in parallel with the current versions. That's a lot of effort.

10101011, The post you reference suggests building the latest KDevelop 4 beta from source. I'm trying this now. If that doesn't work, it's back to 9.04.

Beans

Yep, rolling back turned out to be difficult.

kdelibs4-dev is still in Karmic (which is the version for KDE3, oddly enough).

After removing kdelibs5-dev to install kdelibs4-dev, installing qt3-apps-dev and libdb4.7-dev, I configured with the following command:

./configure --without-arts --disable-ada --disable-bash --disable-fortran --disable-haskell --disable-java --disable-pascal --disable-perl --disable-php --disable-python --disable-ruby --disable-sql --disable-antproject --disable-scriptproject --disable-trollproject --disable-clearcase --disable-perforce --disable-subversion

I had to add --without-arts since I found no (easy) way of getting mcopidl.

Then, after having compile errors with the antlr module, I tried "make -k", which ignores most errors.

To make a long story short, I still can't get it compiling.

Edit: I'm talking about compiling KDevelop 3.5 here
    Last edited by 10101011; November 13th, 2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Clarification

Beans

The beta6 version does seem to be a bit more stable. I also found it helpful to do

rm -rf ~/.kde/share/apps/kdev*

Before that, nothing I tried would get it to actually run a program. Afterwards I had no trouble getting the sample app to run under the debugger. So, it'll edit, compile, and debug the sample app. It's a start. Now to try it on some real code.

Beans

The compile is still in progress, but switching to gcc/g++ version 4.2 appears to be working well so far - time will tell! Just install gcc and g++ 4.2, and set the links for gcc,g++,cpp and gcov to *-4.2, clean the failed build and restart. Make -j4 improves the build speed but will result in an occasional error requiring a restart - programmatic dependencies are not handled. - Andy
    Last edited by andrewl_oz; November 15th, 2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Too specific re gcc version

Beans

Thumbs down Re: kdevelop only available in version 4 ?

That's it: kdevelop 3.5.5 compiles are runs using gcc version 4.2. No serious work done with it yet, but at least it loads an existing project without issue. The config I used was:

./configure --disable-ada --disable-java --disable-pascal --disable-antproject --disable-clearcase --disable-perforce --disable-csharp --without-arts

but I'm sure other combinations would work.

One day I'm sure kdevelop 4 will be up to scratch, but it may be a while. In the interim it would be good if the 3.5 strand could be made an option from the main ubuntu repository.

- Andy

Beans

Remember to switch your compiler back to version 4.4! The attached script does a basic job of switching versions if you like to use it.

- Andy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast