Page 89 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

Beans

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

Hi Favux,

Touch is working! Thanks for that last instruction.

I would call touch maybe 65% usable. It is rather "touchy" in that you will often need to do the same action a few times to get it to work. I must be careful to move my fingers very slowly or else it will just stop tracking. I will then need to take my finger off and start again to get it to continue tracking. The mouse pointer on the screen isnt smooth, it moves rather jerky. Gestures, while working have the same symptoms, they may or may not work at any given attempt. It seems that if you get them to respond, then they will for a few times, then give up the ghost for a few attempts.

I did the xsetwacom set touch bottomx 740 and I am not sure if that had any effect. I think it is using more of the touchpad now. These commands used to throw an error and now work as expected. Thanks.

I think one final thing of note is that at some point in the past, there was a calibration on wacomcpl for Touch. There currently isnt one. Touch is showing up in wacomcpl, but there is no config for it.

Buttons seem to do what they are supposed to do. All four give a response. The only oddity I can report on them is that one attempt in the past had the scrolling buttons with the ability to just hold down the button and it would auto-repeat. Now, if you press it and hold it down, you just get a single click.

Beans

Hi,

Yesterday, I installed linuxwacom-0.8.5-10.tar.bz2. It is really good, as the annoying jumps have totally disappeared. Unfortunately there is a new problem. I used to set up my button configuration by a simple script at startup. Now xsetwacom commands don't work at startup, I have to unplug and plug back my tablet. But then, its name is changed:

Code:
    ribbit@ribbit-ubuntu:~$ xsetwacom list
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x5_Pen2_eraser     eraser
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x5_Pen2     stylus
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x53_pad     pad
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x53_touch     touch
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x53     stylus

Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x5_Pen4_eraser     eraser
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x5_Pen4     stylus
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x55_pad     pad
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x55_touch     touch
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x55     stylus

Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x5_Pen6_eraser     eraser
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x5_Pen6     stylus
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x57_pad     pad
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x57_touch     touch
    Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x57     stylus
    This is quite annoying, as I have to manually enter xsetwacom commands to config my buttons every startup.

One more thing I don't really understand: If I am right, wacomcpl is just a graphical editor of ~/.xinitrc. It seems that my system doesn't run this script at startup. Is this normal?
    Last edited by RiBBiT; February 14th, 2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: correction

Beans

This is quite annoying, as I have to manually enter xsetwacom commands to config my buttons every startup.
    This is the script I use on startup.

All you need to change for yours is the IN_1-4 variables which would just be in lowercase for you, and your options in place of mine of course.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    sudo modprobe -r wacom
    sudo modprobe wacom

sleep 2 

IN_1=ERASER
    IN_2=STYLUS
    IN_3=PAD
    IN_4=TOUCH

ERASER=$( xsetwacom --list | grep $IN_1 | sed "s/$IN_1//g" | sed "s/ *$//"  )
    STYLUS=$( xsetwacom --list | grep $IN_2 | sed "s/$IN_2//g" | sed "s/ *$//" )
    PAD=$( xsetwacom --list | grep $IN_3 | sed "s/$IN_3//g" | sed "s/ *$//"  )
    TOUCH=$( xsetwacom --list | grep $IN_4 | sed "s/$IN_4//g" | sed "s/ *$//"  )

# FIX FOR LEFTIES
    xsetwacom set "${STYLUS}" Rotate half
    xsetwacom set "${PAD}" Rotate half

# USE ONE SCREEN ONLY
    xsetwacom set "${STYLUS}" TwinView horizontal

# SET LEFT SCREEN BY DEFAULT
    xsetwacom set "${STYLUS}" Screen_No 0

exit 0
    And .xinitrc should only be called if you start X manually using start X iirc.

EDIT: Sorry I see you have an extra stylus device in your too so you may want to do an extra grep for 'Pen' like this...

Code:
    STYLUS=$( xsetwacom --list | grep $IN_2 | grep Pen | sed "s/$IN_2//g" | sed "s/ *$//" )
    Last edited by shazeal; February 14th, 2010 at 07:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thumbs down Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

RiBBit, Shazeal> Yeah, a script is the way to go for that type of thing.

BTW, once you get wacom working [i.e., in the correct system directory], you shouldn't need to sudo modprobe wacom more than once. Ubuntu will actually be smart and pick it up next time if it detects the same hardware. Ubuntu has done that with both my wireless card and my wacom tablet now... Because I had to do custom steps to get both working in Karmic, I had to modprobe them. On reboot, they were already loaded. Try this out... see if it works for you.

Also, you can chmod +x your script and add it to start automatically. This way the process is completely seamless and "just works". I do this for a couple of things on my laptop.

Hope this helps.

Ayuthia/Favux> No rushing/impatience at all, just curious... When is the next stable release of the open source wacom drivers expected. I was going to predict it according to the last few, but that would put it way later this year before a release (eeh gads lol). I figure somebody close to dev side might have a better perspective on that.

Actually, was hoping a stable version could be pushed that just had pen and eraser functionality and whatever touch/gesture functionality works so far... Since stylus and eraser functionality is the essentials, the touch and gestures are bonuses. Is there a way I could suggest this to the maintainer of the Open Source Wacom driver website?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's looking like 0.8.5-10 works for the Bamboo P & T's!

Wow, this is sooo Cool!!!

Back in October when TheguywholikesLINUX and I started messing with his Bamboo Pen & Touch we had no idea what we were in for. Without Ayuthia, ob1kenobi (Jason), kgingeri, and all the rest joining in I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten far. And now with Ping and Chris here we are!

I'm going to take a moment to celebrate.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    It's looking like 0.8.5-10 works for the Bamboo P & T's!

I'm going to take a moment to celebrate.
    Congratulations to you all on your hard work. I only witnessed this tail end of it but am blown away by how awesome you all are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

For me 0.8.5-10 is a bit of a regression wrt touch. My experiences are similar to nossifer's with touch becoming unusable. I guess not all the changes were implemented or they clash with other parts of the driver. So back to -9 with ob1's patches until -11 is released.

Anyway its all good and I can't wait till -11.

Quote Originally Posted by nossifer View Post
    Hi Favux,

Touch is working! Thanks for that last instruction.

I would call touch maybe 65% usable. It is rather "touchy" in that you will often need to do the same action a few times to get it to work. I must be careful to move my fingers very slowly or else it will just stop tracking. I will then need to take my finger off and start again to get it to continue tracking. The mouse pointer on the screen isnt smooth, it moves rather jerky. Gestures, while working have the same symptoms, they may or may not work at any given attempt. It seems that if you get them to respond, then they will for a few times, then give up the ghost for a few attempts.

I did the xsetwacom set touch bottomx 740 and I am not sure if that had any effect. I think it is using more of the touchpad now. These commands used to throw an error and now work as expected. Thanks.

I think one final thing of note is that at some point in the past, there was a calibration on wacomcpl for Touch. There currently isnt one. Touch is showing up in wacomcpl, but there is no config for it.

Buttons seem to do what they are supposed to do. All four give a response. The only oddity I can report on them is that one attempt in the past had the scrolling buttons with the ability to just hold down the button and it would auto-repeat. Now, if you press it and hold it down, you just get a single click.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by shazeal View Post
    This is the script I use on startup.

All you need to change for yours is the IN_1-4 variables which would just be in lowercase for you, and your options in place of mine of course.
    Hi Shazeal

With the same problem of changing IDs after each plug-in, I followed your script and tried to adapt it. It failed obviously because I don't fully understand what I am doing
    Could you help?
    This is my script to disable and enable Touch:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

IN_4=touch

TOUCH=$( xsetwacom list | grep $IN_4 | sed "s/$IN_4//g" | sed "s/ *$//"  )

STATUS=`xsetwacom get "${TOUCH}" touch`

if [ "$STATUS" == "0" ]
      then
        echo "Touch was OFF, enabling."
        xsetwacom set "${TOUCH}" touch on
    else
        echo "Touch was ON, disabling."
        xsetwacom set "${TOUCH}" touch off
    fi
    I get this error:
    Code:

Error (2): WacomConfigOpenDevice: No such device
    Get: Failed to open device 'Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x57_'
    Touch was ON, disabling.
    Error (2): WacomConfigOpenDevice: No such device
    Set: Failed to open device 'Wacom_BambooFun_2FG_4x57_'
    By the way, I had to change "xsetwacom --list" to "xsetwacom list".

Thanks
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi everyone,

That's why I'm interested in knowing if wacomcpl works with the .fdi in 0.8.5-10 or do you need one of the .fdi's I've posted, or what?

While you can use a xsetwacom script you shouldn't need to if wacomcpl works. It will save your configuration as a series of xsetwacom commands in it's script .xinitrc. That is a hidden file in your "/home/username" directory. All you need to do is make it executable and add it to your Startup Applications as described in "Section 3: Calibrating your Tablet" in this HOW TO. Saves you from reinventing the wheel. And is much more convienent.

Also interested in if the xsetwacom rotation commands work, say to HALF (for lefties).

So if a .fdi that doesn't rename things to stylus, eraser, touch, and pad but instead uses the device names works in wacomcpl I'd love to know. A screen shot with wacomcpl and the devices in the device list would be helpful.

By the way it turns out Ping changed the way the devices are named slightly in 0.8.5-10 which explains some of my confusion. It's not clear to me they realize that the naming changes (1 to 2 or whatever) every time you replug. I'm thinking they don't.

Beans

Talking Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

The new version (0.8.5-10) worked for me (CTH-460) "out of the box".

Thanks a lot!

Page 89 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast