Page 94 of 114 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

Beans

Smile Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

First post, please excuse any breaches in etiquette, etc...

Thank you--followed directions in post #1 and now my Bamboo Pen (CTL-460) is working quite well--no complaints

Granted, mine is basic (no buttons on tablet, no eraser) but what options exist are working fine--as smoothly as the Logitech trackball I use for everyday activities. I have not fully explored button function as far as programmability (partially as a result of my own ignorance) but those functions to which the device defaults (touching stylus to pad = left click, near button [the one closest the nib] = center click, far button = right click) are working well. Pressure sensitivity is fully functional as well.

Issues I have experienced:

1.) When in 'relative' mode, GIMP input is erratic and unusable. I prefer 'absolute', so no worries (for me, anyway).

2.) On occasion, input in the GIMP file-open dialog has limited functionality (only the button which closes the dialog box works), but upon restarting GIMP, function returns.

3.) My trackball (Logitech Trackman Wheel, wired) loses full functionality--but only in GIMP--when plugged in at the same time as the Bamboo Pen tablet. It can access menus, etc... but can perform no actions on the image being worked on other than repositioning the image with center click & drag. Again, no worries--that's why I got the tablet

Other comments:

--I have only actively tested functionality in GIMP and Kdenlive, though in both programs the tablet works quite well. In all other programs it appears to function as a normal 3-button mouse.

--xsetwacom commands work, as does wacomcpl, though changes are not persistent. I made a little script that flips the tablet for left-handed use on start up. Not that big a deal for most, but i am just learning scripts as well, so i'm pleased. (I'm not a lefty, but i like using the wide space on the tablet as a wrist-rest.)

--when issuing xsetwacom commands, only the full device name works (i.e.--Wacom_Bamboo_Pen_4x5_Pen0).

--No issues with hotplugging whatsoever.

Vital Statistics:

Computer: Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094, 2Gb memory (she's old, but she'll get you where you need to go...)

Kernel: 2.6.31-20-generic

Blood Type: B-

Please pardon the verbosity (and possible redundance) of this post.

A final, very unrelated comment: This is my first post, but i have been lurking hereabouts for some time and may i say the spirit and attitude of these forums is really quite nice to observe. That I have yet to see an "RTFM" delivered in anything but jest is refreshing.

Anyway, thanks to you and the community for your all your hard work. Cheers!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

Great News with Inkscape!

I have no idea why and how this works, but it does, what?
    After installing kernel 2.6.31-20 and linuxwacom 0.8.5-10 yesterday and reconfiguring inkscape (names of the wacom devices changed) I get a fantastic new behavior: using bezier tool on the tip and switching to the eraser, the eraser tool in Inkscape kicks in. So far so good - BUT: flipping the stylus to the tip again switches back to the tool associated with the tip!! This is new - and GREAT!

I noticed some issues with touch on my CTH-661, but I will give that a look today in the evening.

Thanks a lot, WvBraun.

Beans

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this or not.

Symptom: The left mouse click button on the pen, and my regular laptop trackpad (never use) become disabled for a few minutes.

EDIT> I thought this was related to me running a virtual machine... it happened while I was not using the VM, and this time I caught what happened (I think)
    I was tracking with the pen, and pressed click on the grey plastic body part of my 661. That caused any type of left click to become trapped, and not pressable. I unplugged the Wacom and reattached. That seemed to have fixed it. So, no biggie, likely human error anyway.
    Last edited by nossifer; March 10th, 2010 at 04:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The Linux Wacom developers have released 0.8.5-11 today. I have updated the first post to point to an archived 0.8.5-10 in case there are issues. Please try using 0.8.5-11 because the stable release of 0.8.5-X is building off of these changes. The link that that source can be found right above the xsetwacom commands in the first post.

Here is the information from Ping Cheng that lists the highlights:
    This dash release:

* Added HAL_CFLAGS to CFLAGS
    - by Pedro Gimeno <pg-lwd391@personal.formauri.es>
    * Retrieve tablet_id early on in wcmValidateDevice
    * Call getRange for both touch and pad, whichever comes the first
    - by Chris Bagwell <chris@cnpbagwell.com>
    * Fixed a keystroke bug for non-core mode of older Xorgs
    - by Stefan Schimanski
    * Added wacom XRandR daemon to support RandR settting change
    - by Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>
    * Added modifiers (right) to wcmAction.c
    * Fixed a copy/paste error in the license statement
    * Support kernel 2.6.33
    * Cleaned kernel drivers for 2FGT

The kernel and Xorg driver changes for Bamboo touch from Chris have not incorporated into this release yet.

The whole 0.8.5 unstable release:

Support USB tablets 0xE2, 0xE3, and 0x9F. Support new serial ISDv4 Tablet PCs.
    Avoid duplicated and invalid devices and types for X server 1.4 and later.
    Support kernels up to 2.6.34. Added 5 new Bamboo devices.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; March 11th, 2010 at 02:26 AM.

Beans

Hi,

I received my bamboot touch today and I tried to configure it with no luck

I followed the steps from post #1 and used the latest version of the driver. The pad seems to kind of work (I can scroll a web page but nothing else), when I type:
    Code:
    xinput -list
    I get entries for stylus, eraser, touch and pad. But when I run
    Code:
    xsetwacom list
    I get nothing, so I can't calibrate mya pad.

I'd really appreciate your advice here, Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

my thread might help. i had the same problem.

i never got touch working completely, but it should help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ght=bamboo+fun

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ayuthia, Favux, and others.

i think i just found out why some people don't have working wacomcpl's.

this is for the people that get an error box when opening wacomcpl and clicking any of the devices in the list box.

all you need to do is copy and paste wacomcpl from /usr/bin/ to usr/local/bin/ after you've built and installed the latest linuxwacom-0.8.5-11.

i think the "make install" forgets to copy the new wacomcpl into the correct directory. and maybe other people didn't have these problems because the old wacomcpl still works on their devices?

i don't know, hopefully this helps those people.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by portets View Post
    Ayuthia, Favux, and others.

i think i just found out why some people don't have working wacomcpl's.

this is for the people that get an error box when opening wacomcpl and clicking any of the devices in the list box.

all you need to do is copy and paste wacomcpl from /usr/bin/ to usr/local/bin/ after you've built and installed the latest linuxwacom-0.8.5-11.

i think the "make install" forgets to copy the new wacomcpl into the correct directory. and maybe other people didn't have these problems because the old wacomcpl still works on their devices?

i don't know, hopefully this helps those people.
    Out of curiosity, are you building the source with a
    Code:
    --prefix=/usr
    in the configure portion? If you are, let me know and I can add this information to the first post.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

yes. and 100% sure about it.

Beans

I needed to install libxrandr-dev to build 0.8.5-11, otherwise I got an error saying X11/extensions/Xrandr.h couldn't be found.

Page 94 of 114 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast