Page 111 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1132

Thread: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch Series Development

We cheapo Bamboo users (and Daves.. go team!) have to stick together .. I'm with you on your rant - I don't think many will blame you for being frustrated by your problems. I assure you that by comparison, my rant was much less justifiable and much more ridiculous (I somehow managed to mention Batman.. )

During my initial fumbling with xsetwacom, I had been attempting to use each of the 4 "Bamboo" device numbers in the xinput list (10-13 for me). Though it appeared to save the changes I made to each number, they seemed to have no affect on the tablet's performance. It was not until I stuck to "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen" that things began to make some sort of sense. I knew it didn't have a touch pad, but I had overlooked the fact that there was no eraser on the pen. So I can confirm that your experience is easily reproducible or whatever.

..but I mostly wanted to have a reason to post so I could thank Favux and everyone even remotely affiliated with the handholding I've required to get this thing working. All of the banter in all of the related threads has been a real big help in teaching me some basics about how devices are handled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi David,

Since, as djinnkeeper points out, the CTL460 lacks an eraser, and touch for that matter, try just:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 4x5" rotate HALF
    Maybe xsetwacom is erroring out with non-existent devices:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo" 4x5 Pen eraser" rotate HALF
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger" rotate HALF
    and not recovering gracefully. And that's affecting Gimp.

I sort of agree with you about Lucid. But I think it's mainly because Canonical lacks the developer resources and they have different priorities. I think if we followed the twice yearly developer summits closer we'd have a better idea of what they are. I know with the recent reorganization they are serious about getting into the black.

Besides in Lucid there is a serious regression for the Wacom tablet end user because of the lack of wacomcpl. And that's due to Xorg taking over the wacom X driver with their xf86-input-wacom, not Canonical. In fact as far as I can tell we are lucky to have xsetwacom in Lucid. The LWP's developer resources are also spread thin. Part of our problem is that xsetwacom isn't completely implemented. And it's not clear to me what parts are still missing. The new 'man xsetwacom' they added helps a little.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi djinnkeeper,

Are you lefty handed? If so, what do you do to set the pen please?

I stand corrected - it is, as you say, "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen" and not what I typed ("Wacom Bamboo Pen 4x5").

Thanks. Glad yours is working (no sarcasm).

David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Favux,

Today my xinput --list gives me the same numbers. After unplugging and re-plugging in, after xsetwacom... and after rebooting!

I tried
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 4x5" rotate HALF
    but received the error as attached.

Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen" rotate HALF
    was accepted.

A slight improvement - I can now lassoo and complete but only with a deft button/pen co-ordination. Unfortunately, still needing the pen button is the killer.

After all the years I have not been aware of the twice yearly developer summits. I have not seen them even mentioned in the forums. Do you have a link?

I understand Canonical's intent to get into the black. Ipso facto, isn't that a very good reason to get old problems (Accessibility) and regressions (sound keys) sorted out? However much the linux faithful may hate to hear it, Ubuntu and others will never be taken seriously unless such basics are working and to the ex-Windows people it works without doing what we are doing. This sort of thing drives people away, not convert them.

May I ask the difficulties of using xf86-input-wacom as opposed to Section 1 of your tutorial? I'm only interested academically on the different approaches the two have, not criticising

Favux, I agree with djinnkeeper in thanking you and everybody else 'hanholding' us to try and get it working. Mine works perfectly - except in lefty mode - which just happens to be important to me.

Until you mentioned it I was not even aware Xorg was separate from Canonical ...

David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

A slight improvement - I can now lassoo and complete but only with a deft button/pen co-ordination. Unfortunately, still needing the pen button is the killer.
    I'm wondering if the Pen is defaulting to 'hover' mode? You could try:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen" TPCButton "on"
    and off. From: http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/in...owto/xsetwacom
    twice yearly developer summits. I have not seen them even mentioned in the forums. Do you have a link?
    They're usually announced in stickies in the Development & Programming forum and Cafe a week or two before and during. There's links to online streaming of sessions, etc.. I can't seem to find my links but here is some semi-relevant stuff. Starting with the composite blog that usually carries a bunch of info. on the Summit.
    http://planet.ubuntu.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ubuntudevelopers
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/TechnicalOverview
    May I ask the difficulties of using xf86-input-wacom as opposed to Section 1 of your tutorial? I'm only interested academically on the different approaches the two have
    Well what happened is that for Xorg's Xserver 1.7 (the one Lucid has) linuxwacom was split into two. And xf86-input-wacom is the X driver part (wacom_drv.so) that Xorg took over. The kernel part (wacom.ko) is still linuxwacom's as well as the X driver for Xservers lower than 1.7.

I was going to say that you should be good with the default 0.10.5 xf86-input-wacom that comes with Lucid and the only reason to update it would be if you have touch and wanted to try out the new Gestures patch. But actually some additional stuff has been added like the escape key, up/down/left/right, and the xsetwacom manual (man xsetwacom). But I'm not sure any of that's worth the adventure of cloning the git for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Favux,

Thanks for the links and "9.0 - Command Line Configuration Interface (xsetwacom) is informative."

Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen" TPCButton "on"
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen" TPCButton "off"
    A definite improvement. Now, although the mouse still moves without the pen touching the pad, at last I have to touch the pad to start/stop an action, be it choosing something on the menu or starting/finishing a lassoo. The mouse moves while hovering or not touching the pad just as it does in right handed mode.

This had no effect at all used with the above, whether done before or after:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen" rotate HALF
    I have done comparisons in lefty / right modes. In lefty mode, the only thing now, for me, is having to use the pen button as well. It's behaviour is best described as without pressing the pen button it is like clicking the wrong button on the mouse - a menu comes up instead of the action happening.

I am perplexed why man xsetwacom says
    No manual entry for xestwacom
    Have I corrupted the system?

I've lost my Windows wacom CD for the Bamboo Pen 4x5 - can anybody tell me how big the contents are please in MB and if prepared to zip and email me? Many thanks.

David
    PS My apologies for late replies at the moment
    Last edited by dryder; June 19th, 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Late reply

Beans
    Distro

Hi David,

Slowly getting there. I need to see your whole current xsetwacom script, rather than one command at a time. Along with the 'xinput list', at least with the tablet stuff. Are the ID #'s still changing.

Man xsetwacom was added to xf86-input after 0.10.6. You're still on the default 0.10.5 correct? 0.10.7 just came out two days ago. There have been additions and fixes for xsetwacom and the 2FG gesture patch. You're still using the 0.8.6-2 linuxwacom wacom.ko, correct?

Most everything seems to be "working" now in Lucid. I even have Button1 acting as a touch on/off switch (with notification like Win! ). Still some troubles in Gimp. I have it "working" with either wacom.conf or xorg.conf. I'm toying with the idea of posting my xsetwacom script along with the touch toggle script in post #384 in the next few days. I basically imitate the default Win XP set up.
    Last edited by Favux; June 19th, 2010 at 05:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

I've updated post #384 and added a sample xsetwacom script. I also added a touch toggle script you can attach to one of your tablet buttons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Favux.

I need to see your whole current xsetwacom script .... Are the ID #'s still changing.
    Taking the second part of the above first, yes, the id's change each reboot. I have not written any of my own start-up scripts because of this - just enter into terminal. I can't think of a way of in a script to do 'xinput --list' and then substitute the correct number into a variable.

The first part, the only xsetwacom scripts I have are from those two created when I followed your Section 1 guide - one script for 32 bit the other for 64 bit (I assume). The 64 is attached as is a screenshot of xinput --list. You can see it changed from 14 one day to 12 the next.
    You're still on the default 0.10.5
    I believe so.
    You're still using the 0.8.6-2 linuxwacom wacom.ko
    Yes.

posting my xsetwacom script along with the touch toggle script in post #384
    Got them - thanks.

What other scripts do I need to attach?

David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hi David,

I'm lost. I think we're having a communication problem.

I don't know why you posted that "xsetwacom script". It isn't one. Hopefully the scripts I posted will help you.

Given your screen shots you don't have a Bamboo Pen, you have at least a Bamboo Pen and Touch. What's your model number again?

You shouldn't see ID numbers varying with linuxwacom 0.8.6-2. So either something went wrong with the compile or it's something else. Are you using a hub to plug the tablet in? Or are you plugging other devices in sometimes but not others? I'm not seeing that in xinput but have to ask.

Besides that using the "Device name" should get around that unless that's changing too. The name is the same in the two screen shots so the device should be found be xsetwacom. That suggests an xsetwacom/xf86-input-wacom problem. Have you gone to Synaptics Package Manager and told it to reinstall xserver-xorg-input-wacom and rebooted?

Summary:
    Wacom Bamboo ?? in Lucid
    kernel? (run 'cat /proc/version_signature')
    32-bit or 64-bit install?
    linuxwacom 0.8.6-2 wacom.ko
    xf86-input-wacom 0.10.5 (Lucid default)
    using default 10-wacom.conf?
    tablet plugged directly into usb port?
    tablet works fine in Windows?

Page 111 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 ... LastLast