Thread: add users with only game and office menu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

add users with only game and office menu

Hi guys I haven't been too successful searching, maybe using the wrong words.

I am wanting to know about when adding a user can it be customized durring the add-user stage.

for example to only have the games menu or the office menu , adding places and other menu and sub menu options if and when required by that user

I would appreciate being pointed to a howto. If its not a cut and dry task should this be something posed on
    HTML Code:
    brainstorm.ubuntu.com
    to be added to the admin users account
    Windows XP is like an 8" FDD, kept for compatibility but is no longer required.
    www.linux-books.us/ Free Linux books a great source of information viewable . in PDF
    Ubuntu User 23555

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: add users with only game and office menu

Hi.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest trying out edbuntu.

It lives over here and may suit your needs to a 'T' -->> http://edubuntu.org/

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro

Many thanks Phill.

I know of Edubuntu but wondered if their was another way ofI increase my learning.
    www.linux-books.us/ Free Linux books a great source of information viewable . in PDF
    Ubuntu User 23555

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tommynz1975 View Post
    Many thanks Phill.

I know of Edubuntu but wondered if their was another way ofI increase my learning.

For customisation like you want, I think that the team have done all the hard work already - I'm not a fan of re-inventing the wheel

I'm sure, as all ubuntus, are ubuntu, that it can be done - but that route may be a lot more straight forward. As for learning, that is a real good site & you'll learn loads

General background stuff for Ubuntu can be found via my info link, follow it to linux area, then resources, there's enough there to keep you busy

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks again Phill

I have found another starting point (learning process) Possibly somethng like what I wanted, I dont yet know

This link talks about the config files for the menu system (how it works) and editing them.

HTML Code:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CorporateUbuntu#GNOME%20Menu
    GNOME Menu

Although the GNOME menu system has improved greatly in 2.12, there still is a lack of a tool for editing the GNOME menu on a system-wide basis. GNOME menu configuration, therefore, still needs to be edited on the command line.
    The GNOME menu consists of a collection of desktop files in the /usr/share/applications directory. Inside each file is a Categories line which determines where the menu entry exists. A small number of system tool desktop files exist in /usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets.
    The first step in "trimming the fat" from the GNOME menu is to create a disabledapps directory under /usr/share/applications:

Code:
    ncampbell@naaman:~$ sudo mkdir /usr/share/applications/disabledapps
    Next, determine which apps stay and which apps go.

I hope my question has helped others with their learning.
    Ubuntu User 23555