Thread: Dell Dimension 2400 USB problem

Beans

Dell Dimension 2400 USB problem

Dell doesn't seem to be able to help me with this problem, so I thought I would look for help here. Ubuntuforums is always a dependable place.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400, that was given to me (I would never buy a Dell), and I want to install a multi-card reader. The motherboard only has one USB connector so I have to disconnect the front USB panel to connect my card reader. The problem is that once unplugged, the rear USB ports do not work anymore. Also the card reader is not recognized.

The first thing that the Dell support agent said was "Did you purchase your card reader from Dell?". My thought is that they have built their hardware to only accept "Dell" hardware.

D'oh, I should have copied and pasted the whole conversation here. Too bad I didn't save it.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I think that I probably won't be able to fix this without buying a add-in pci card. So, if anybody knows where I can get a USB 2.0 pci card with a front connector would you please let me know. I can't find any cards that have the standard 9-pin front connector.

Edit: Edit: I did find one here http://www.outletpc.com/c4663.html, but anybody has any other suggestions they are welcome.
    Last edited by dodle; November 10th, 2009 at 01:42 AM.