Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does ubuntu 9.10 support gigabyte ga-p55 series motherboards

Beans

Does ubuntu 9.10 support gigabyte ga-p55 series motherboards

Does Unbuntu 9.10 support the new Gigabyte ga-p55 series motherboards (particularly the ga-p55-ud3 board).

I want to avoid purchasing new hardware only to discover that it does not currently work. (If it does not work now I assume problems will fixed some time in the future.)

I can find nothing in the Unbutu hardware compatability/incompatability lists on this web site.

On Googling I can find a review which tests an Intel P55 motherboard with Ubuntu (turbo boost did not work with a beta version of 9.10) as well as a separate user report that (Sata2, network, audio, cpu stepping, fan speed works with ga-p55-ud3 / Debian (2.6.30).

Has anyone successfully used the ga-p55-ud3 with Ubuntu? Could different BIOS versions be expected to cause problems?

Beans

Re: Does ubuntu 9.10 support gigabyte ga-p55 series motherboards

My Gigabyte ga-p55-ud4 is fully supported by Ubuntu 9.10.

The only problem I had was that it didn't detect my SATA DVD RW. I solved it setting the SATA to AHCI mode in BIOS.

Beans

Thank you for your response.

I have built a system based on the GA-P55-UD3 motherboard and the Radeon hd 5750 video card. No major problems except that I had to download the video drivers from the ATI site. Use of the Video drivers in the Ubuntu registry resulted in a "Not supported" watermark visible in the bottom right corner of the screen as well as a strange affect when using 1920 * 1080 resolution. There was waht I call a "paling" effect (as in fence palings) where the display split into vertical rectangles with a gap between the rectangles. The right hand portion of the screen was off screen and could not be accessed.

I have tried hibernating once. After restoring I noticed a strange watermark effect on the bottom right corner of the screen.

Beans

Hi Bryan.

I have same motherboard + i750 procesor + Ubuntu 9.10. - 2.6.31-16-generic.Last few days im trying to find problem with hardware monitoring ls-sensors.Found shoud be IT8720 chip handling that informations (temps,fan speed,volages)..on http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices seems it's supported chip,but ls-sensors cant find it!.So Im stuck at no informations on CPU temp and voltages + fan rpms

Anyone know how to overcome this problem with p55 motherboard + Ubuntu 9.10 combination ???

Beans

After installing the lm-sensors and sensors-applet package I modified the file/etc/init.d/lm-sensors by hand. I backed the lm-sensors file first and then used the vi editor (I am an experienced programmer) to add the line highlighted below in red. (gedit will work just as well as vi.) Because the file is owned by root you will need to use sudo to gain root privileges.

start)
    log_begin_msg "Setting sensors limits"
    modprobe it87
    if [ "$VERBOSE" = "no" ]; then
    /usr/bin/sensors -s 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null
    /usr/bin/sensors 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null
    else
    /usr/bin/sensors -s
    /usr/bin/sensors > /dev/null
    fi
    log_end_msg $?
    ;;

The hint of what do do is contained in the following output of the sensors-detect script.

#----cut here----
    # Chip drivers
    modprobe it87
    /usr/bin/sensors -s
    #----cut here----

I gather from Googling that the modprobe command is used to add the it87 module to the kernel.

After you have done this and rebooted simply right click on the panel, select "Add to Pannel", and choose "Hardware Sensors Monitor"

Beans

Hi again Brian

Well You save me lot of time !! Thanks ! Solved in 5 mins..Now i dont know wich
    sensor is 'describe'lebels components (I have three working) proc 0..2 ? I have tryed with Everest sw in Win7..there is all described by sensor components..

Any help ?

http://foto2.inbox.lv/miran/Ubuntu/Everest-1.png link Everest

http://foto2.inbox.lv/miran/Ubuntu/lm-sensors.png link lm-sensor

good luck, Miran

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hey guys
    I have the UD3 and i5-750(@4Ghz) also. Thanks alot for the tip Brian. But im just curious, why does it only show 3 temps, shouldn't there be 4, one being for each core? Also, i see a difference as much as 10C between the core temps, is this possible?
    "Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave."
    -Mark Shuttleworth (CEO Canonical/Ubuntu)

Beans
    Distro

Actually, i noticed when putting my CPU under load, only temp3 seems to rise in temperature reading, im assuming that the other two are system temps (NB and case temp). Therefore temp3 is most likely an average temp over all 4 cores. Correct me if im wrong .

Edit: As for the general support of this platform, im currently running 9.10 and everything seems to work fine, besides the sensor issue which seems to have an easy fix, thanks to Bryan. Turbo boost also did not seem to work for me, although the CPU was scaling down and up as expected (power saving features work). However, i don't really care much for those, as i quickly disabled them, since i was planning on overclocking it to at least 4Ghz, which was remarkably easy to do.
    Last edited by magicmax0; January 25th, 2010 at 07:01 AM.
    "Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I just got a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L with a Core i7 860. Kubuntu hangs completely partway into booting -- I've tried an existing 64-bit Karmic installation, a Karmic 32-bit CD and a Lucid 64-bit CD. Did any of you have to tweak anything to get it to work on your board?

Update: it appears this was due to my wireless card, I removed it and successfully booted the Lucid CD.
    Last edited by GameManK; February 6th, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
    (Intel Core i7 860, 2x2GB, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Radeon HD 4550, Audigy2 ZS Platinum, Sonata) + Asus V6J + Lenovo IdeaPad U330
    YOU can make Kubuntu Lucid a solid distro | My Blog

Beans
    Distro

I did nothing beyond BIOS defaults, but i have the i5-750, as do the others i think. The i7-860 should be fine though, all its got the i5 doesn't is hyper-threading, which i dont think is supported yet. I don't see how that would cause it to hang though, you can try to disable it in BIOS i guess. Also disable advanced CPU options like turbo boost, but again, even left on, these should not cause the system to hang, they simply wont work in ubuntu. Im using the 32bit right now btw, haven't actually tried a 64bit yet.

Have you had any luck loading any other OS on it yet? Maybe its something more serious, possibly faulty memory, make sure to do a full memtest. And load fail safe defaults in BIOS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast