Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Freezing

Beans

Ubuntu Freezing

Hi all I recently made the switch from the dreadful windows to ubuntu and have to say i love the OS,that being said i am having an issue
    when starting to run some programs the system stops responding
    the mouse does move but i cant click on anything and keyboard does not respond doesn't even light up for caps lock

it first happened when running firefox with google search bar so i done so searching and found a post saying there where some issues with the google bar so i removed firefox completely lol and still didnt fix it but it hasn't frozen while on the web at least not yet,but the last couple of times it has done this was while trying to load certain programs like a firewall or certain games i was wondering if maybe i had tried to run a program that was to much for my system but my system falls in at least with the min requirements.

I was just wondering if this was a bug or if someone else has been having the same issue thank you in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Ubuntu Freezing

i dont face such problems mate !! did you do a fresh install ??
    ~Free your Mind with Open Source~
    ~Linux requires Patience ~

Beans

I've had this problem too and I know there is another thread relating to this. I'll just look it up.

Beans

yes i done a complete reformat downloaded from ubuntu and installed done the updates then it started to happen

sorry if there is another thread relating to this i tried to search but couldn't find anything

Beans

thank you guys for your responses.
    after doing some searching, and reading a lot of the other threads i have came to the
    conclusion that this may have something to do with my hardware so i am going to try
    xubuntu and maybe mint to see if my hardware is causing this issue i will report if this
    fixes the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are all sorts of things that could be wrong - usually hardware/driver related. Next time it freezes, reboot and run the following commands:

sudo cat /var/log/system.log | tail
    sudo cat /var/log/dmesg.log | tail
    sudo cat /var/log/messages.log | tail

Post the output here so we can try and figure out what's wrong.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by risnercharles View Post
    thank you guys for your responses.
    after doing some searching, and reading a lot of the other threads i have came to the
    conclusion that this may have something to do with my hardware so i am going to try
    xubuntu and maybe mint to see if my hardware is causing this issue i will report if this
    fixes the problem.
    xubuntu almost definitely won't solve the problem - everything is the same under the hood, it's just a different desktop interface. mint has a slightly better chance, but you're probably going to deal with similar issues. I suggest you try and troubleshoot it on Ubuntu, but it's up to you.

Beans

well i would like to use keep using ubuntu so i guess i will just do a trial and error with my programs and, thank you for the log commands and i will post the log files if it fails again
    should i post it in this thread or is there a forum dedicated to log errors?
    Last edited by risnercharles; November 9th, 2009 at 10:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by risnercharles View Post
    well i would like to use keep using ubuntu so i guess i will just do a trial and error with my programs and, thank you for the log commands and i will post the log files if it fails again
    should i post it in this thread or is there a forum dedicated to log errors?
    This thread will work fine. Nobody really understands everything in them, but there's usually enough information that someone (possibly yourself) can find the faulty component. Usually it'll come down to searching for a new driver for something or another... I've had this exact same issue with both a faulty video card driver and a faulty wireless card driver. Another thing that might help is the output of

lspci

Beans

i remember looking at the system log viewer after the first time it crashed it had an error called /var/log/btmp this file is not a regular file or text file

i done a search and it led me to this site and thats when i got side tracked lol and just remembered it

also about the driver's is there anyway to view the installed drivers and update them like you can in windows or is there a certain program i can download to allow me to do this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast