Thread: Acer Aspire 5517 no network (wired or wireless in 9.04)

Beans

Acer Aspire 5517 no network (wired or wireless in 9.04)

Hi,

I'm experiencing the following issue on an Acer Aspire 5517: no network connection whatsoever.
    Tried both wireless and wired, same problem. Under the Network Manager (in the panel) the categories “Wireless Network” or “Wired Network” do not appear. There is only the VPN Connections option.

Things work fine with Windows 7 that is also installed on the machine, so am I assuming it is a software issue. One potential issue: I installed Ubuntu 9.04 (32bit) but the machine has a 64bit processor.

I have searched various forums and have not found an answer to this. Also, I'm new to Ubuntu and am unsure where to start. I am somewhat familiar with the Terminal, so if you need me to type stuff in there and post results, let me know.

Thank you for your help.

Beans

Wink Re: Acer Aspire 5517 no network (wired or wireless in 9.04)

I found myself in the same situation. I did find some joy in going back to 8.04. This allowed my wired ethernet to work. Still no joy in the wireless connectivity.

Good Luck, let me know how you progress.

Is your sound working?

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 5517 no network (wired or wireless in 9.04)

Great News!!!!

If you have the Acer Aspire 5517 and you are having wireless problems, the new ubuntu 9.10 makes all the problems go away. Works everything right out of the box -- EXCELLENT job Ubuntu simply EXCELLENT.

Webcam, sound, wired and wireless all work great, 32bit or 64bit.

Upgrade to 9.10, problem solved.
    W

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks

Beans

Woohoo!! Thx for the great news! I bought Acer Aspire 5517 few hours ago.. Bye bye windows 7