Thread: Hard eject doesn't unmount CD/DVD

Beans

Hard eject doesn't unmount CD/DVD

My problem is that when I do a hard eject for a CD or DVD (ejecting via the actual eject button on the drive), the CD/DVD doesn't unmount. This isn't to say that it doesn't eject, it does. What I'm saying is that after I hard eject DVD or CD X, DVD or CD X acts as though it were never ejected and stays mounted on the desktop, nautilus side pane--I end up having to manually un-mount DVDs and CDs after I do a hard eject. I don't have this problem when I right click a volume and choose 'eject.' Also, I never had this problem in Jaunty--only now that I'm using Karmic. Please let me know if there is a solution to this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Hard eject doesn't unmount CD/DVD

it is a good habit to unmount stuff before removing

for thumb drives and SD cards you should give them a ten-count before removal to let them finish any activity

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by klemperal View Post
    My problem ... Please let me know if there is a solution to this.
    Previously was actually a feature. Especially for the read-write media one should let the OS finish the cached write operations before ejecting the media. The best way is to do the the ejection through the software unmount.
    I actually had a few bad problems with the Zip drives in the old days, where Windows would rewrite the FAT if one ejected the disc through the hardware button. (Just to put this into a context.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by laluz View Post
    I actually had a few bad problems with the Zip drives in the old days, where Windows would rewrite the FAT if one ejected the disc through the hardware button.
    Zip Drives...lol

the old days(don't know how "good" they were though)

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans

I'm not talking about flash drives or external hard drives--just cd/dvd roms. There is no reason why a cd/dvd should remain mounted after it has been physically ejected and removed. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Beans

I'm having the same issue. I think the eject button should unmount the disc sice we are not talking of read/write media and well, that's why that button is there for. Also, that's how it used to work un Jaunty. Did they change it on purpose or is this a bug?

Anyone know how fix this?

Beans

Having the same problem in Maverick Meerkat. Did anybody decide if this was a bug or a feature ? Any work around for automatically unmounting when eject button is pressed ? I can do it manually but I'm using the computer to play movies. It would be nice to just be able to eject one movie, put in the next and have it auto play without having to manually unmount the disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi kquinnell,
    I have the same problem (in Maverick) and found this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ks/+bug/476654

But the link seems to suggest that this shouldn't be a broblem in Maverick.

Beans

Beans

I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 today and it works like it should. Hard eject does unmount CD/DVD!