Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help configuring-Marvell Yukon 88E8040T -Toshiba-Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Question Help configuring-Marvell Yukon 88E8040T -Toshiba-Ubuntu 9.10

Hi All,

My new Laptop is Toshiba U400 with Marvell Yukon 88E8040T PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller. I have installed Ubuntu9.10,successfully. But Ubuntu didn't detect this NIC. Can anybody help me to sort out the problem.

Thanks Advance
    BipinDas.K

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Help configuring-Marvell Yukon 88E8040T -Toshiba-Ubuntu 9.10

Please try opening a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe sky2
    ifconfig
    Did a new interface get created, eth0, perhaps? We can make this permanent if it worked.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have the same laptop (toshiba satelite pro u400).
    Unfortunately the problem is a bit bigger than just the driver module just not getting loaded. This is the appropriate, and rather lengthy, launchpad bug #418933

To summarize:
    It's a regression in the upstream kernel, a patch has been released, against the 2.6.32 git tree.
    Since karmic was released with a 2.6.31 kernel I guess that a 2.6.32 patch is unlikely to make it in to the regular ubuntu kernel update during the lifetime of Karmic Koala (I would love to be proven wrong here, but I'm not holding my breath )
    I'm more hopefull that it might make it back as a backport update.

Alternate solutions are:
    • Add acpi=off as a kernel parameter. Unfortunately it sounds as if you did a clean install, which means that you are using grub2, I don't know that yet so someone else will have to help you setting this parameter.
      This solution has several drawbacks on a laptop, as it kills powermanagment, and changes several things like the power button behaviour, suspend functionality etc.
    • Run with an alternative kernel: Andy Whitcroft the guy that is assigned to the bug, has released a patched kernel. This is a kernel build to test a specific bug fix, so it probably won't be updated later. You can find the link in the bug report.
    • Compile your own kernel: This is big boys stuff Used to be a pretty common thing to do for us linux people, but it's been years since I had to do it.
      My best advice is start by reading https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile, grap the patch from http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...f468af10682ca8 read up on how to patch kernel source (google).
      Then cross your fingers and plunge in to the deep end Actually it's a good way to learn more about how the "engine room" of your OS is made up.

For now I am using the acpi=off method, it works for now, and as long as I remember that I'm running a slightly crippled system I'm fine.
    Hoping for a karmic-backports kernel before soon though

-- Jon

----------------
    Read more at:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/418933
    http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13940
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...f468af10682ca8
    Last edited by baggins; November 13th, 2009 at 02:02 PM.

Beans

baggins,

Do you have any suggestions for a person who does not have any internet capabilities while in Ubuntu? I'd like to try to get this card working, but my wireless card, Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100, seems to have it's own problems as well.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you try the acpi=off kernel parameter?

The bug affects both my network interfaces, wired as well as wireless.
    With acpi=off both works again. So if you have the same problem then the acpi solution ought to work for you as well.

When booting enter grub, select the newest kernel, press e, select the line containing the words "quiet splash" and add "acpi=off", press enter, press b and your machine ought to boot without powermanagment.

And on a brighter note, I was aparently a bit too pesimistic it from launchpad bug #407824 I gather that a fix will be released in a regular kernel update for karmic.
    Offcourse net will still be required in order to update to that kernel, but that's where the acpi workarround comes in

-- Jon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I noticed this in the bug report:

Hi,
    Kernel from here http://people.canonical.com/~apw/lp386468-karmic/ fixed this problem for me.

HW: Acer Extensa 5635G (wifi iwlang and ethernet atl1c)

Many thanks, Jiri
    I think I would try the acpi=off workaround just long enough to download and install the fixed (we hope) kernel. ACPI does so many other things that we want and need that I don't think it's a long term solution.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I noticed this in the bug report:I think I would try the acpi=off workaround just long enough to download and install the fixed (we hope) kernel.
    Yes and no, what I am worried about is that:
    1. That kernel is build to test a specific fix, I don't seem to see any info about whether it is otherwise build in the same way as the standard generic kernel (modules, includes etc.)
    2. It appears that the fix is nominated for the next SRU, but if I install the deb containing the test/fixed kernel will I get the fixed mainstream kernel automatically?
    3. I'm paranoid, ok? It just plainly goes against the grain, for me to install something as vital as the kernel from a 3' party. No offence intended to Andy Whitcroft, I really seriously doubt that he would ever provide a bad kernel. He is a member of the ubuntu kernel team, and kudos to him (and all the others) for doing a great job.
    However the fact remains that the kernel comes from an unofficial, unsigned (and therefore unverifiable) location. Yes! I really am that paranoid!
    Had it been a test or lab machine I likely would have gone ahead and installed the fixed kernel, but on my own primary production machine I'm just a bit more careful. So I used the acpi=off fix to get the source, the patch and compiled my own kernel (It was actually a quite cool experience, it's been years since I last did that).

ACPI does so many other things that we want and need that I don't think it's a long term solution.
    Amen!! and especially on a laptop

-- Jon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I don't seem to see any info about whether it is otherwise build in the same way as the standard generic kernel (modules, includes etc.)
    I downloaded it and installed it and the headers and I am running it as we speak. It appears complete in all respects. I don't have the Marvell, so I can't comment on the fix.
    will I get the fixed mainstream kernel automatically?
    I don't know for certain, but I'd assume the usual Update Manager process will continue unchanged.

The beauty of GRUB is that if this kernel doesn't work correctly, you can interrupt the boot process and boot into another later or earlier kernel. Once booted, you can remove the inoperative kernel easily in Synaptic.

Did the patch and kernel compile get your Marvell working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did the patch and kernel compile get your Marvell working?
    Yes, or at least I think so.
    The bug affected both the wireless (iwl5100) and the wired net (marvell). I haven't really tested the wired net yet, as that interface isn't registered in the dhcp at work. However I now see the interface when running ifconfig and I get a green light in the switch when I plug it in (neither was the case without the patch). The wireless on the other hand works like a charm (I'm posting this aren't I )

-- Jon

Beans

I noticed this in the bug report:I think I would try the acpi=off workaround just long enough to download and install the fixed (we hope) kernel. ACPI does so many other things that we want and need that I don't think it's a long term solution.
    Hello !

I'am a beginner whith Ubuntu.
    I have a dual boot whith XP and Karmic => NO ETH0 on Karmic... !
    I saw that chili555 said :
    Kernel from here http://people.canonical.com/~apw/lp386468-karmic/ fixed this problem for me.
    Could you help and explain me what I have to do to pach my Ubuntu and fix my network pb?

Thanks a lot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast