Thread: Will not let me log into Gnome, but will let XFCE

Beans

Cool Will not let me log into Gnome, but will let XFCE

Hey,

So after updating to ubuntu 9.10, it will not allow me to log into gnome. I spent about 30 minutes trying to log in, using my password and clicking on my username. I had no luck.

After that I decided to see if xfce would work and it did. I used the same exact password and i clicked the same username.

When I select gnome, i type in my password and its starts loading. then the screen goes black, comes back to loading, goes black again, then goes to the start-up menu where it has the different accounts.

Help please!

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Will not let me log into Gnome, but will let XFCE

I assume you are not getting any errors, if you are, please list them. First thing to try is if another user can log into gnome.

If other users can launch gnome, but you can't it's likely an error in your .gconf directories. :
    - from the command line:
    - "mv .gconf bak.gconf"
    - "mv .gconfd bak.gconfd"
    Currently Running: Linux Mint 7, Fedora 11, Fedora 12, and Ubuntu 9.10

http://unamanic.witt-family.net

Beans

I went to the terminal and put in those commands, nothing happened. I cannot log into gnome from other accounts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

one possibility:

remove gnome and then install it again. although it's possible that doing so will only help if you remove configuration files in the process.

It should be that you can remove gnome from the command line (you will want to Google for some info about doing so... use "apt-get remove" or "aptitude") or using a visual-interface tool in XFCE, if you have one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

These are the directories that the gnome configureation is stored, you have to restart gnome after you move them. Although it's best to not be in gnome when you move them to prevent gnome from just re writing them. Use the failsafe terminal lgon option or log off, press [crtl] + [alt] + f1, login and perform the commands, then press [crtl] + [alt] + f7 and try to log into gnome again.
    Currently Running: Linux Mint 7, Fedora 11, Fedora 12, and Ubuntu 9.10

http://unamanic.witt-family.net