Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Skype, Logitech webcam and Karmic video problem persists

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Skype, Logitech webcam and Karmic video problem persists

Quote Originally Posted by fabounet View Post
    This is a problem in Qt4, not in Cairo-Dock.
    there is a workaround for it :
    Code:
    export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && skype
    (also work for VLC, Smplayer, and any Qt applications that do video)
    That works for the current session with the -o option, openGl in cairo-dock, however it doesn't persist into the next login session.

Anyway to make it persistent from one login session to the next?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

doing the above gives me a green screen in the video test window. Do I somehow have to combine the LD and export commands with the skype launch command?

I tried
    Code:
    export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usrin/skype
    but no luck

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pickarooney View Post
    doing the above gives me a green screen in the video test window. Do I somehow have to combine the LD and export commands with the skype launch command?

I tried
    Code:
    export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usrin/skype
    but no luck
    First of all, thanks to relic70 who solved my problem with Skype.

Yes pickarooney, you have to integrate both the preload section and the export commands. I solved it in a very simple way: I right-clicked on the "Applications" menu and chose "modify menu" to bring forth the menu editor, and under "Internet -> Skype" I changed the "command" section of Skype's launcher from /usr/bin/skype to:

sh -c 'export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype'

(mind the vertical apostrophes!)

This way I can keep my OpenGL Cairo Dock and use Skype at its fullest! Yeah!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hirumono View Post
    First of all, thanks to relic70 who solved my problem with Skype.

sh -c 'export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype'

(mind the vertical apostrophes!)

This way I can keep my OpenGL Cairo Dock and use Skype at its fullest! Yeah!
    Yep! Works like a charm for me too. Thanks to your extra help hirumono.

Beans

Tried sh -c 'export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype' but still get the fuzzy green video. Here is the output I get:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomenu-panel": libgnomenu-panel.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-gnome": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libglobalmenu-gnome.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Any ideas what went wrong?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fleghorn View Post
    Tried sh -c 'export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype' but still get the fuzzy green video. Here is the output I get:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomenu-panel": libgnomenu-panel.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "globalmenu-gnome": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libglobalmenu-gnome.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Any ideas what went wrong?
    I'm only guessing here, but you many not have all of those files installed, particularly those that indicate "no such file or directory". Check the synaptic package manager to see if they are installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

i have a 64 bit karmic... do i have to write LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/ instead of LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/ ?
    i tried this and cant get my video to work.. my cam works fine with cheese, but not with skype... i can get sound from my webcam but no video and i see the video of the other person, just cant start my video...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by marin123 View Post
    i have a 64 bit karmic... do i have to write LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib64/ instead of LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/ ?
    i tried this and cant get my video to work.. my cam works fine with cheese, but not with skype... i can get sound from my webcam but no video and i see the video of the other person, just cant start my video...
    Skype from the medibuntu repos worked fine but the one downloaded from Skype site gives me the same issue with my cam, I get sound but only green stripes for video. The cam works fine in Cheese, I am on Karmic x64.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxforall View Post
    Skype from the medibuntu repos worked fine but the one downloaded from Skype site gives me the same issue with my cam, I get sound but only green stripes for video. The cam works fine in Cheese, I am on Karmic x64.
    i hope you solved the problem with links from that other thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by marin123 View Post
    i hope you solved the problem with links from that other thread
    Yep, just thinking in long run, it needs to be back in the repo for now. Many of those who switch to Ubuntu here from Windows depend on Skype as its the only audio video messenger for Linux so the medibutnu way makes it far easier than telling them to download from specific site.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast