Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: What is the "adm" group?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    227

    What is the "adm" group?

    What is the "adm" group?

    I see an "admin" group to which my admin user (1st created user) belongs, but I also see an "adm" group.

    My non-admin users have only "adm". They do not have "admin."

    What is the difference between "adm" and "admin"? They sound like the same thing but with different names. Is that true?

    Thank you.
    I am a casual linux user who simply wants a Windows replacement. I have little computer knowledge so speak to me as if I were an easily confused child. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: What is the "adm" group?

    Didn't know what it was, but looked it up.
    Here it is:
    adm: Group adm is used for system monitoring tasks. Members of this group can read many log files in /var/log, and can use xconsole. Historically, /var/log was /usr/adm (and later /var/adm), thus the name of the group.
    I guess google is good after all .
    Wish I could prove I love you, but does that mean I have to walk on water?
    When we are older you'll understand it's enough when I say so, and maybe some things are that simple.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    227

    Re: What is the "adm" group?

    Quote Originally Posted by amingv View Post
    Didn't know what it was, but looked it up.
    Here it is:


    I guess google is good after all .

    Yes, but is it the same as "admin"? That is what I wish to know.
    I am a casual linux user who simply wants a Windows replacement. I have little computer knowledge so speak to me as if I were an easily confused child. Thank you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Freiburg/Germany
    Beans
    1,112
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: What is the "adm" group?

    Quote Originally Posted by cat2005 View Post
    What is the "adm" group?

    I see an "admin" group to which my admin user (1st created user) belongs, but I also see an "adm" group.

    My non-admin users have only "adm". They do not have "admin."

    What is the difference between "adm" and "admin"? They sound like the same thing but with different names. Is that true?

    Thank you.
    In Ubuntu members of the group admin can run programs with root privileges, members of adm are allowed to view some logfiles
    ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Beans
    227

    Re: What is the "adm" group?

    Quote Originally Posted by diesch View Post
    In Ubuntu members of the group admin can run programs with root privileges, members of adm are allowed to view some logfiles

    Thank you.
    I am a casual linux user who simply wants a Windows replacement. I have little computer knowledge so speak to me as if I were an easily confused child. Thank you.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •