Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with xset dpms force off

Beans

Re: Problem with xset dpms force off

This bug has been reported here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/447728

See my post in that bug-report for more info on this issue.

Beans

I have this problem too, and it doesn't look like there's an easy solution. I have, however, whipped up a quick script to maybe solve this problem for some of you. It's not an ideal solution (you run the script once to turn the screen off, then again to turn it back on), but it'll have to do until the bug gets fixed. Here's a link:
    http://alexcabal.com/turn-your-lapto...ubuntu-karmic/

Beans

It work if I have volume 0% for pulse audio!

------
    Sorry false alarm I turn pulse volume on and it steel working... but it does not before...
    Last edited by Andaril; January 19th, 2010 at 05:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Works perfectly fine! Thanks!!!

Beans

I have this same problem with Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04 on a Toshiba NB100

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mondalaci View Post
    This doesn't work for me... Somehow the backlight stays off for longer than if I just did xset dpms force off, but it still eventually does after 30 or so seconds...
    Last edited by muadnu; May 24th, 2010 at 04:27 PM.

Beans

I think I know what the problem is: gnome-screensaver. If I run
    Code:
    sleep 3 && xset -display :0.0 dpms force off && gnome-screensaver-command -i
    on a terminal (the last bit inhibits the screensaver) then the backlight stays off (at least for a couple of minutes, which is what I've tried). This has the problem that now gnome-screensaver is inhibited even if I turn the screen back on (since it will stay inhibited until I cancel the command, e.g. by closing the terminal or hitting ctrl+c). But maybe someone has a good idea of how to go from here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

might help to install the latest driver:

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by muadnu View Post
    I think I know what the problem is: gnome-screensaver. If I run
    Code:
    sleep 3 && xset -display :0.0 dpms force off && gnome-screensaver-command -i
    on a terminal (the last bit inhibits the screensaver) then the backlight stays off (at least for a couple of minutes, which is what I've tried). This has the problem that now gnome-screensaver is inhibited even if I turn the screen back on (since it will stay inhibited until I cancel the command, e.g. by closing the terminal or hitting ctrl+c). But maybe someone has a good idea of how to go from here.
    Bingo: it's gnome-screensaver. Here's one way to fix this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove gnome-screensaver
    Honestly who needs a stupid "screen saver" anyways, I'm not using a plasma display over here on my laptop, nothing is getting burned in. I just want something to turn off my display, which gnome-power-manager does already. Hopefully this is a better solution than the utterly insane option of running 'xset dpms force off' in an infinite loop.

Seriously though, people are piddling about with this bug on three different bugtrackers over the course of months and this is the first time someone's pointed out what the actual problem is. Sheesh.
    Last edited by nxmehta; May 25th, 2010 at 07:42 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast