Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LaTeX and SVG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

LaTeX and SVG

I'd like to include SVG graphics in LaTeX documents easily. The setup that I'm using right now, is to create the images in Inkscape, then convert them to TikZ code, and add it to the .tex file. This is, however, far from optimal. The code is huge, and I don't get some details (like arrow ends) converted correctly. I've tried converting to .eps and .png, but both turn out with very poor quality, even if I raise the resolution to 600dpi when exporting. Any ideas on how to have good quality graphics that are relatively small?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: LaTeX and SVG

This is weird. I use .eps all the time when exporting from Inkscape and haven't experienced any poor quality. The vector graphics are preserved just fine. Although, I find Adobe Reader doing far better job with the graphics in general, have you attempted to look at the compiled, I suppose .pdf, using Adobe Reader?

Another approach for you, if you can use pdflatex is to export into .pdf, or convert into .pdf. Both approaches should work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For my thesis, I used to export the figures from Inkscape as eps and than convert them into pdf using "epstopdf". Afterwards, I used pdflatex to create the documents. It worked fine for me. The figures were pretty small and good quality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You can export directly to PDF from Inkscape. That's what I do and it works really well.

I use epstopdf with plots from Gnuplot though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How do I include those pdf images in my tex file?

These are my files, so you can compare them. The grafico2.svg is the original Inkscape one. The grafico2.pdf is the one exported at 300dpi from Inkscape. The file grafico2.eps, was also exported from Inskcape at 300dpi. And grafico2tex.pdf is the pdf generated by pdflatex using TikZ. The best one i thought was grafico2.pdf, but I don't know how to include it in my file.

Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You really should preserve the vector graphics and not rasterize it (i.e. in this case export -> picking resolution), that will ruin everything. Use Inkscape's "Save a Copy" or "Save As" functions.

You can include the .eps or .pdf figs in your .tex by the standard graphics environment
    Code:
    \begin{figure}
    \includegraphics[width = \textwidth]{grafico2.eps} % Or .pdf
    \caption{Some histogram thingie}
    \label{fig:hist}
    \end{figure}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yeah, you include pdf images the same way you would include any other image. If you have both an eps and a pdf file in the same directory, you can ommit the file suffix and pdflatex will use the pdf and latex will use the eps. If you've got other formats with the same name in there too they might get used instead though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks a lot, I think I'm gonna stick to the pdf versions I exported. They behave nice enough and are small. Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!

One important aspect is which Cairo version you have installed. The newer Cairo is, the more capabilities it has in preserving transparency and filters in the PDF. In some situations Cairo is forced to rasterize in order to represent the graphic in the PDF.

You have cairo 1.8.8, which is good. And you can see that it doesn’t preserve transparent vectors in the EPS, while it does in PDF. It can’t properly represent your semi-translucent bar stroking so it rasterizes these parts of the graphic in the EPS file.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpa..._in_PostScript

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Aha! That's why my transparencies weren't looking good. I'm thinking I'm gonna stick to pdf then. It's been working great. Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast