Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Geforce 210 hdmi audio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Geforce 210 hdmi audio

well compiled 1.0.22.1 and... fixed issues with not recognizing onboard HD audio and such, but still no sound through this gforce 210 HDMI pass-thru. it seems to be trying to pass to the onboard hdmi although onboard video is disabled in bios. also alsaconf seems to be missing? can't figure out how to tell alsa to use the device on 2nd card. definately not the experience i was hoping for when i got this card.

edit:

aplay -l

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
    Subdevices: 0/1

However... cat /proc/asound/cards reveals

0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
    HDA NVidia at 0xfe020000 irq 21
    1 [NVidia_1 ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
    HDA NVidia at 0xfcffc000 irq 29

I have also tried disabling onboard HD audio, but that leaves no hardware devices listed in ubuntu's sound config gui, which I am assuming is the recommended replacement for alsaconf? I am going to force onboard graphics on as a last test. The gui config should show two seperate HDMI output devices, but it doesn't. When I try to initialize the card manually via alsactl I get some errors. May be a bug in alsa treating the card as if it had a built in "sound card," but from what I've read, its simply passing pcm via a pci brige from your existing hd audio device. I believe it because this card is tiny and doesn't even require separate 12v source.

Also.. I recompiled alsa-utils and alsaconf is back now but it mysteriously finds no cards at all. More reading in my future, however I'm done with it for today.
    Last edited by jocefus; January 24th, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Beans

Smile Re: Geforce 210 hdmi audio

Quote Originally Posted by jocefus View Post
    well compiled 1.0.22.1 and... fixed issues with not recognizing onboard HD audio and such, but still no sound through this gforce 210 HDMI pass-thru. it seems to be trying to pass to the onboard hdmi although onboard video is disabled in bios. also alsaconf seems to be missing? can't figure out how to tell alsa to use the device on 2nd card. definately not the experience i was hoping for when i got this card.

edit:

aplay -l

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]

However... cat /proc/asound/cards reveals

0 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
    HDA NVidia at 0xfe020000 irq 21
    1 [NVidia_1 ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
    HDA NVidia at 0xfcffc000 irq 29

I have also tried disabling onboard HD audio, but that leaves no hardware devices listed in ubuntu's sound config gui, which I am assuming is the recommended replacement for alsaconf? I am going to force onboard graphics on as a last test. The gui config should show two seperate HDMI output devices, but it doesn't. When I try to initialize the card manually via alsactl I get some errors. May be a bug in alsa treating the card as if it had a built in "sound card," but from what I've read, its simply passing pcm via a pci brige from your existing hd audio device. I believe it because this card is tiny and doesn't even require separate 12v source.

Also.. I recompiled alsa-utils and alsaconf is back now but it mysteriously finds no cards at all. More reading in my future, however I'm done with it for today.
    Did you look into this alsa development thread on this chipset ?
    thread

Sounds like, they were able to make it work partially. So looks like there is some hope to use the HDMI Audio feature of this card.

Beans

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_s...T220,_or_GT240

I should be hopefully getting this card tomorrow, and have been doing some digging on this problem...

anyone with this card care to give this a shot? looks promising.

Beans

i'm using Mint on geforce210 HDMI audio, when i ran "aplay -l" it only show:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]

can't see any "NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]" device on the list like you guys. What may went wrong?

i'm using LinuxMint 8 (Helena)
    kernel 2.6.31-14-generic.
    Gnome 2.28.1

Thanks & regards,
    Max Chock.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by maxchock View Post
    i'm using Mint on geforce210 HDMI audio, when i ran "aplay -l" it only show:

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]

can't see any "NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]" device on the list like you guys. What may went wrong?

i'm using LinuxMint 8 (Helena)
    kernel 2.6.31-14-generic.
    Gnome 2.28.1

Thanks & regards,
    Max Chock.
    what version of alsa do you have installed? The default in ubuntu karmic and lucid is alsa 1.0.21. I have been compiling/upgrading to latest alsa-stable releases, however, I have not yet tested alsa1.0.23... been upgrading laptop to lucid and settling in.

you can check your alsa version with 'cat /proc/asound/version' on ubuntu. no experience with mint... may be the same.

will post results of hdmi audio with alsa1.0.23 when I get time to spend on my htpc. the link in chalewa's post above looks promising as well.
    Last edited by jocefus; May 2nd, 2010 at 03:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Got it all working today.. spent almost half a night in troubleshooting and reading various forums. The problem was quite simple as usual

Lets see if my activity can help others in getting this GeForce 210 card working with Ubuntu 9.10.

1. My distro is Element 1.1 which is Karmic Koala 9.10 based
    uname -a
    Linux htpc 2.6.31-21-generic #59-Ubuntu SMP Wed Mar 24 07:28:56 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

2. Mobo is Asus M4A785TD-M EVO which has onboard ATI Radeon 4200 HD
    Unfortunately, I am not happy with ATI performance.. Lot of vsync and tearing issues. Ati's fglrx software is not as capable as nvidia's in my opinion, so I decided to buy this cheap geforce 210 from frys. $19.99 after rebate !!!

Its EVGA branded, with 512MB DDR2 memory. 589 Core clock.

The card may not be high end for gaming and some reviews on internet suggest its a very basic card. But its multimedia performance on Linux is not as bad.. in fact very superior to ATI 4200.

I also disabled onboard HDMI audio from BIOS to use this nvidia.

3. Installed Alsa 1.0.23 from source directly. The instructions are very simple on alsa's install webpage.
    1.0.22-1 didnt work very well.

4. aplay -l shows card 0 and 1. 1 refers to Nvidia. So my /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf looks like this:

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

aplay -l
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
    Subdevices: 2/2
    Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
    card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
    card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]

4. /etc/asound.conf looks like this so that default works with card 1, device 3.

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
    device 3
    }

5. Now the tricky part was to unmute nvidia

sudo alsamixer

Hit <F6> to select device and select Nvidia
    If you see it muted, then press "m" and exit

Thats it folks.. my HDMI sound was working like a charm.

In Mythtv frontend, you can specify plughw:1,3 based on my examples.

In Boxee and XBMC also, the sound works perfect now.

I am so glad that HDMI video is far better than onboard ATI Radeon 4200. 1080i playback is very nice.
    Last edited by ngupta; May 7th, 2010 at 11:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I can confirm the hdmi audio is finally working with geforce 210 on my lucid lynx machine using alsa 1.0.23 from source, however not without .conf tweaks posted by ngupta. much thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

This is all great news guys. I am shopping for a new graphics card because my current a nvidia GeForce 8400 GS. Am using the DVI with a hdmi adapter so I dont expect any audio from it. For audio I use digital out from the mobo audio card however this is only providing stereo sound and not 7.1 as it does using the stereo pins and possibly in hdmi with I dont use because i use a pci-e graphics card (one mentioned above).

The problem I have with my Geforce 9400 GS is that on video play back where the action gets fast I see blocks of bittering like its not pumping out enough frames per second. So does the GT210 show any such jitter and is the audio from the hdmi surround sound at least 5.1.
    "When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal; you do not change your decision to get there.", Zig Ziglar

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just got a new Asus GT220 today. Replaced the previous eVGA 210. Unmuted in alsamixer again and thats it. Perfect HDMI video+audio working with Geforce 220 also. I bought 220 just because I heard better reviews on it and thought to give it a shot. Both are low profile and fits perfect in my Antec Microfusion 350 based HTPC.

Beans

I have the geforce 210 as well with freshly compiled alsa 1.0.23 on Mythbuntu 10.04.
    alplay -l gets me this
    Code:
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
    my asound.conf is
    Code:
    pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 3
    }
    I selected all 4 IEC958 switches but can't get a peep out of anything I am probably missing something obvious but I can't figure out what. can anyone point it out to me?
    Thanks,

Trev

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast