Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VIA Drivers

Beans

Re: VIA Drivers

In my defense, I'm just doing what I am told to by the powers that be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: OpenChrome/VIA Drivers

Hello

I've run Ubuntu on my laptop for over 2 years. Started out with a 7.04 based system. It has a VIA K8M800 chip and i've been waiting 2 years for some drives. Even just 2D!

I saw some released not long ago and gave a shot trying to install the source. My rating: They suck.

I couldn't get them to work no matter what i tried.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by skymera View Post
    Hello

I've run Ubuntu on my laptop for over 2 years. Started out with a 7.04 based system. It has a VIA K8M800 chip and i've been waiting 2 years for some drives. Even just 2D!

I saw some released not long ago and gave a shot trying to install the source. My rating: They suck.

I couldn't get them to work no matter what i tried.
    In conclusion - VIA will always suck on Linux. Hence, we should boycott these chipsets.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ukripper View Post
    In conclusion - VIA will always suck on Linux. Hence, we should boycott these chipsets.
    +1

Unless something changes avoid in future.

Beans

In all fairness, boycotting these chipsets is not a reasonable solution. It's a silly and childish solution. The easiest way forward would be for the community as a whole to put pressure onto companies such as VIA to produce a set of drivers for Linux based operating systems.

I'm going to mark this topic as closed as I am giving up on this stupid laptop now.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinor View Post
    In all fairness, boycotting these chipsets is not a reasonable solution. It's a silly and childish solution.
    hmm not really..It is a reasonable solution...boycott has been always a grounds up approach to show your anger and frustration throughout the history. It could be applied in this situation very easily.

Vendors only will listen to minoroties if you show them their products are not welcome within the community unless they put there act straight and produce better drivers for linux.
    You came empty handed, that is how you shall leave. Whatever you claim as yours today, belonged to someone else yesterday, will be someone else's tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinor View Post
    The easiest way forward would be for the community as a whole to put pressure onto companies such as VIA to produce a set of drivers for Linux based operating systems.
    That has been going on for years which is why people building a Linux box don't generally consider VIA; because they know nothing is going to change anytime soon. Boycott is your word.

When I've built a Ubuntu box there are some component manufacturers that are just not on the radar; common sense and research, not a vendetta. Will you go for VIA if you are buying another box and are intending to use Linux? Is it a boycott if you don't? VIA graphics seems to work fine on my wife's computer in Windows but not to it's full potential in Linux because of crap drivers for an old graphics chip. Her whole board is VIA by the way and there are no other issues with it whatever. Great for a cheap board at the time and still seems to be going strong about 7-8 years later.

Good luck with it all and you can mark your thread 'solved' rather than closed from 'thread tools'.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 16th, 2009 at 08:27 PM.

Beans

I have been using the openchrome driver for a few years
    on a via pc3500g mobo with no issues (no 3d)
    flash player is pretty crappy in full screen but
    enjoy videos in mplayer and vlc no problem and play dvd's
    my kids play games. all of the games in the standard installation work great. also (gcompris,childsplay,tuxpaint,supertux,frozenbubbl e,pingus)
    google earth works but not great. I run my pc with a dc-dc atx power supply and solar power. and before the intel atom came out this was a very best power efficient motherboard for a cheap price.
    many people may not need compiz and 3d games. I just wanted to tell
    people that i love my via pc for it is on 24/7 on a small solar panel with 4 golf cart batteries mostly used for rhythmbox, email ekiga phone
    and web browsing.
    remember that low power= lower performance
    vesa works on this chip pretty good max 800x600
    on the newer versions with no xorg.conf i just pasted my old xorg.conf in /etc/X11/ works fine (have touchscreen)

2.6.30-1-686

lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 Host Bridge
    00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 Host Bridge
    00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 Host Bridge
    00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 Host Bridge
    00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 Host Bridge
    00:00.5 PIC: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 I/O APIC Interrupt Controller
    00:00.6 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 Security Device
    00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 Host Bridge
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237/VX700 PCI Bridge
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 PCI to PCI Bridge Controller (rev 80)
    00:03.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 PCI to PCI Bridge Controller (rev 80)
    00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Device 5337 (rev 80)
    00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 07)
    00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
    00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
    00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
    00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
    00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
    00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A PCI to ISA Bridge
    00:11.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8251 Ultra VLINK Controller
    00:13.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A Host Bridge
    00:13.1 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A PCI to PCI Bridge
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC] (rev 01)
    04:0e.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 8d)
    80:01.0 Audio device: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT1708/A [Azalia HDAC] (VIA High Definition Audio Controller) (rev 10)

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "openchrome"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection