Thread: alt right click resize window

Beans

alt right click resize window

Hi.

I really like being able to quickly move and resize windows using alt+click on Linux's desktops. However, in contrast to other desktops, gnome uses the middle click for resizing. At first glimpse this doesn't look so bad. But, on my laptop, it is really hard to emulate the middle click while dragging with my touch pad without making knots in my fingers.

I found an option in gconf-editor that would change it to right click, but it looks like it is being ignored by metacity.

The only workaround I found is to set the option in compiz and to disable integration into desktop environment in the preferences panel of ccsm.

I've waited Lucid Lynx, hoping this would change. Unfortunately, we still are in the same situation.

Any suggestion ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: alt right click resize window

There's a related discussion at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=63065. This is all fine for dragging the window borders to a new size, but unless one's computer has enough power to support the advanced video features, one doesn't get the tool tip indication of the pixel size of the window.

I'd like to see a GNOME extension that would allow one to resize the windows to user selectable pre-set sizes by right-clicking on certain parts of the window border to bring up a special resizing context menu. There is a Windows freeware utility called Sizer that does this beautifully, but I haven't seen an equivalent in the Linux world. It's invaluable when developing Web pages, as it allows the developer to see how the site would look to visitors with lower resolution displays. The nice thing about a utility like Sizer is that it doesn't require the system to display tool tips.
    IBM ThinkCentre 3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 µP, 1.5GB RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA drive.
    I support Idea #23505.
    "A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows." — St. Francis of Assisi