Thread: Popping noise at shutdown

Beans

Popping noise at shutdown

When I shutdown ubuntu there is a big popping noise. This does not happen in Windows 7 because it mutes before shutdown (I know this because the audio button turns red) this does not happen in ubuntu, and cases a big pop, which ruins the hardware. Can I please get some help?

I have an Hp

Karmic koala.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Popping noise at shutdown

The pops don't really ruin hardware. But I too had a few issues relating to alsa in 9.10 after I installed the old gdm. I fixed them by removing alsa-base, alsa-utils, and linux-sound-base.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Stang View Post
    The pops don't really ruin hardware. But I too had a few issues relating to alsa in 9.10 after I installed the old gdm. I fixed them by removing alsa-base, alsa-utils, and linux-sound-base.

Does removing these things make my sound not work?

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kut77less View Post
    Does removing these things make my sound not work?

thanks
    Well, it depends on whether or not your sound card works with pulseaudio. Mine works great with pulseaudio(now) and I've had no issues. Worst case scenario: Your sound stops working and you reinstall the packages and everything is back to what it was.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Stang View Post
    Well, it depends on whether or not your sound card works with pulseaudio. Mine works great with pulseaudio(now) and I've had no issues. Worst case scenario: Your sound stops working and you reinstall the packages and everything is back to what it was.
    Well I removed it and I still get that popping noise. I have noticed that when I put my laptop to sleep a red light appears on he mute button. How would I apply this during shutdown.