Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Putting the bad press about Karmic in perspective

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Putting the bad press about Karmic in perspective

Everyone knows polls have flaws. That doesn't mean they're totally useless, but they can't just be taken at face value. You have to understand there are margins of error. There is also context.

A lot of the tech "journalism" out there has painted Karmic as a disaster release. Those of us who have been at the forums a long time know that every Ubuntu release is labeled a disaster release at the time of its release.

I thought I'd just put things in perspective here based on the Karmic poll, but also based on previous polls:
    Karmic poll
    Jaunty poll
    Intrepid poll
    Hardy poll
    Gutsy poll

Here is how it all really breaks down comparatively speaking:

Percentages
    Code:
    	                        9.10	9.04	8.10	8.04	7.10
    Upgrade - worked flawlessly	18.32	17.18	9.99	11.06	10.33
    Upgrade - worked but had few things to fix, nothing serious though	19.76	23.19	21.1	25.63	20.73
    Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve	17.38	18.2	24.57	15.64	16.94
    Install - worked flawlessly	15.77	13.34	11.11	11.85	11.66
    Install - worked but had few things to fix, nothing serious though	12.45	13.44	13.46	20.14	23.25
    Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve	16.32	14.65	19.78	15.69	17.08
    Raw Numbers
    Code:
    	                        9.10	9.04	8.10	8.04	7.10
    Upgrade - worked flawlessly	431	354	196	475	566
    Upgrade - worked but had few things to fix, nothing serious though	465	478	414	1101	1136
    Upgrade - got many problems that i've not been able to solve	409	375	482	672	928
    Install - worked flawlessly	371	275	218	509	639
    Install - worked but had few things to fix, nothing serious though	293	277	264	865	1274
    Install - got many problems that i've not been able to solve	384	302	388	674	936
    A few things of note:
    1. Right now Karmic has the comparatively (out of the last five releases) highest percentage of flawless upgrades.
    2. Karmic is also only in the median when it comes to upgrades with many problems out of the five releases.
    3. Karmic has the comparatively highest percentage of flawless installs.
    4. Again, Karmic is only the median for installations with problems that couldn't be solved.
    So actually if you do take these polls at face value, they show Karmic to be the best (at least out of the last five) Ubuntu release, not the worst.

Food for thought.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aysiu; November 6th, 2009 at 01:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Putting the bad press about Karmic in perspective

Hmm, interesting.
    I have started using Linux with Intrepid, and it has been the least problematic version for me. In fact, it worked seamlessly "out of the box" on all 3 of my computers. My impression with Linux started out very well.
    Jaunty had some major problems. It took me months to fix them all. I was pissed off, considered switching distros but didn't feel like I had the time to extensively test.
    Karmic has been pretty good to me. There were a couple of very minor problems that I hardly noticed.
    There are two sides to every story: my side and the wrong side.

Beans

I think Karmic just got a lot of press in general, and so problems were highlighted. I mean at the moment hardware support still isn't perfect due to lack of support for Linux and there's the occasional niggle here and there, so it's no wonder it got blown so out of proportion by the media. But hell at least it's IN the media!

I have high hopes for Lucid
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

But when you happen to be on the bad side of things it certainly doesn't feel like the best release ever especially if something broke that worked for you in every previous release.

Even if statistics show that it may be the best release so far, that doesn't mean it works for everyone.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    But when you happen to be on the bad side of things it certainly doesn't feel like the best release ever especially if something broke that worked for you in every previous release.

Even if statistics show that it may be the best release so far, that doesn't mean it works for everyone.
    I never said it worked for everyone. I'm just trying to put it in perspective for people.

Best just means better than the rest. It doesn't mean perfect.

18.32% may seem like a pretty low flawless upgrade percentage, but when you compare it to 17.18%, 9.99%, 11.06%, or 10.33% from other releases, it makes Karmic seem better, doesn't it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    18.32% may seem like a pretty low flawless upgrade percentage, but when you compare it to 17.18%, 9.99%, 11.06%, or 10.33% from other releases, it makes Karmic seem better, doesn't it?
    yuppers!
    Registered Ubuntu user #28880

Beans

Karmics percentages are being way over-hyped in terms of how many people have had issues with it I agree, but i wont deny it has issues, all new releases of OS's do.
    Its a matter of how its patched up that matters, take jaunty for example my hardware did not get along with it but after a few updates here and there Jaunty was working almost flawlessly.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Karmic seemed pretty well-hyped though it wasn't a major revision. I personally ran into more problems upgrading to Karmic than to Jaunty. They are minor problems, but I haven't been able to fix all of them (two-finger + side-scroll for example).
    ndrw.me | Twitter
    Ubuntu + Vista | Dell Vostro 1500 | C2D 1.4GHz | 2GB | 120GB | nVidia 8400m GS

Beans

Here are two recent blog posts that attempt to put release quality myths and the post-release reactions (not specifically Karmic) in perspective:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    Here are two recent blog posts that attempt to put release quality myths and the post-release reactions (not specifically Karmic) in perspective:

Nice links.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast