Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GT220 & Audio Device "0be2"

Beans

Re: Nvidia GT220 & Audio Device "0be2"

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow View Post
    I have the same problem with 1.0.22 both my hdmi and built-in don't work.

Going back to 1.0.21 fixes the built-in (no support for the hdmi) since they seem to of totally broke snd-hda-intel in the latest release.

A easy way is to reinstall all the alsa packages and linux-image which will give you 1.0.20

Or just install linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic which installs 1.0.21 to a separate place that get priority when loading modules if it exists.
    I'll definitely give that a shot, as I am not concerned about the HDMI audio.

Beans

Simply installing the backports didn't work, so I purged ALSA and removed the backports and am now running the ALSA script to install 1.0.21. I am pretty sure that's what I had on here before, but we'll see if that re-enables my on-board sound card.

Beans

You can get the latest snapshot to work? Whenever I try it I get a error about the snd module loading a duplicate symbol (gcd) that is already owned by the kernel.
    Same thing. Though I just use VGA now (1360x786@60Hz not 1080p ) + analog audio
    Last edited by Henk Poley; December 25th, 2009 at 04:28 PM.

Beans

A easy way is to reinstall all the alsa packages and linux-image which will give you 1.0.20
    Yes, that's the way. Full walkthrough:
    Code:
    $ dpkg -l | grep linux-image-`uname -r`
    ii  linux-image-2.6.31-16-generic                  2.6.31-16.53                                               Linux kernel image for version 2.6.31 on x86/x86_64
    $ sudo aptitude reinstall linux-image-2.6.31-16-generic
    [blahblah]
    $ dpkg -l | grep alsa-
    ii  alsa-base                                      1.0.20+dfsg-1ubuntu5                                       ALSA driver configuration files
    ii  alsa-utils                                     1.0.20-2ubuntu6                                            ALSA utilities
    $ sudo aptitude reinstall alsa-base  alsa-utils
    [blahblah]
    $ dpkg -l | grep libasound
    ii  libasound2                                     1.0.20-3ubuntu6                                            shared library for ALSA applications
    ii  libasound2-dev                                 1.0.20-3ubuntu6                                            shared library for ALSA applications -- development files
    $ sudo aptitude reinstall libasound2 libasound2-dev
    [blahblah]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley View Post
    Yes, that's the way. Full walkthrough:
    Code:
    $ dpkg -l | grep linux-image-`uname -r`
    ii  linux-image-2.6.31-16-generic                  2.6.31-16.53                                               Linux kernel image for version 2.6.31 on x86/x86_64
    $ sudo aptitude reinstall linux-image-2.6.31-16-generic
    [blahblah]
    $ dpkg -l | grep alsa-
    ii  alsa-base                                      1.0.20+dfsg-1ubuntu5                                       ALSA driver configuration files
    ii  alsa-utils                                     1.0.20-2ubuntu6                                            ALSA utilities
    $ sudo aptitude reinstall alsa-base  alsa-utils
    [blahblah]
    $ dpkg -l | grep libasound
    ii  libasound2                                     1.0.20-3ubuntu6                                            shared library for ALSA applications
    ii  libasound2-dev                                 1.0.20-3ubuntu6                                            shared library for ALSA applications -- development files
    $ sudo aptitude reinstall libasound2 libasound2-dev
    [blahblah]
    Thanks for that; unfortunately it made no difference. I am starting to feel like I'm hitting a brick wall; is a wipe-and-reload worth a shot? I don't know what else to do here.

Beans

Sound over HDMI with GT220 will not work for the forseeable time (I don't expect it before jan 1st.). You could try getting other sound devices working and using that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley View Post
    Sound over HDMI with GT220 will not work for the forseeable time (I don't expect it before jan 1st.). You could try getting other sound devices working and using that.
    That's what I've been trying to do, and now I feel kind of stupid.

I booted into a Live CD to see if it would be any different and it was not. Then I realized that I made a major hardware change to my computer yesterday (new video card) and never checked the BIOS settings. My video adapter was set to PCI, not PCI-E, and the on-board audio was set to Automatic. I changed it to Enabled and booted into my OS and wa-la; audio has been restored.

Good luck to you guys trying to get HDMI audio working; 1.0.22 sees the audio device but doesn't seem able to use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just built a handy-dandy new box and threw in a Gigabyte GV-N220OC - 1GI (I remember the name due to repeated searches for it on a Chinese website), which features the GT220 chipset, so I wanna throw my two cents in on this subject.

First, there is no SPDIF in on the card, and I'm fairly certain that this is not available on any of the GT series chipsets as I've looked at quite a few in the shops around here and none of them seem to have that, though a couple did have connectors for extra power.

Second, I took my box to one of the local TV stores (they were impressed by the Compiz Desktop effects making the windows jiggle like jello), but were confused, like me, by the fact that there was no audio with the video. I had downloaded (with a borrowed monitor) the nVidia 190.53 driver, which is the one recommended on the site and installed it fine, so the video on the 47" LED I was testing out worked fine, the only issue was the audio.

Third, this issue has been brought up on the nvnews forums and someone claimed that HDMI audio is not supported by Linux yet, which I can't testify to in any way whatsoever, but it does seem that this is not a problem localized to Ubuntu.

Since I haven't bought the TV yet and I had to return the borrowed display, I have no way of checking all the useful hardware info at the moment, but I do remember lspci returning the nVidia audio device with the 0be2 at the end of it, but I seem to recall that the Realtek onboard audio chipset was not displayed in lspci, which seemed strange to me considering I could plug in headphones (into the front or back) and they seemed to work. I would really like to see audio working through HDMI, but as I plan on buying a receiver and hooking up a nice sound system, I suppose it is not necessary. It would just be a LOT more convenient for me as it would eliminate one extra set of wires running into the receiver. Has everyone given up on this for now? Has anyone tried the beta drivers for the card (I believe it was 195.30)? Has anyone ever gotten lspci to identify both onboard audio AND nVidia audio at the same time? It seems like this problem should be solvable, it just feels like I'm missing a small detail about how the set up should work.
    It's always a good idea to "man" a command before you run it. I may not know what I'm doing, but I'm pretty sure my computer does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I found a *bit* of useful information on this problem:

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipe...er/024231.html

It seems that nVidia is working on this problem, though I looked into the month of January as well and it seems there has been no activity on it as of yet. Might be worth paying attention to this, although whether or not it ends up in the new driver is probably an entirely different question.
    It's always a good idea to "man" a command before you run it. I may not know what I'm doing, but I'm pretty sure my computer does.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gaelfx View Post
    Has anyone ever gotten lspci to identify both onboard audio AND nVidia audio at the same time? It seems like this problem should be solvable, it just feels like I'm missing a small detail about how the set up should work.
    I have a different Gigabyte MB, but as I posted in my earlier post:

Code:
    $ lspci | grep Audio
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
    01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Device 0be2 (rev a1)
    So my system is aware of both the onboard Intel audio and the nVidia audio device. Could it be that your onboard is on the USB instead of the PCI bus? Check lsusb and see if it shows up there.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast