Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless problems - ath9k on Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Wireless problems - ath9k on Ubuntu 9.10

Hi all,

I've been running ubuntu 9.10 since release day no problems, did some updates last night (didn't really pay attention to what they were) and shut down shortly after. When I've come to use the PC again this evening my wireless connection keeps randomly disconnecting and won't re-connect, eventally popping up the passphrase box (which i can re-enter my WPA passphrase and it still won't connect). I have to reboot to get it to re-connect.

No other devices seem to be affected and so I don't think it's my router.

I've got ubuntu 9.10 32bit installed on an acer aspire 5535.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Beans

Re: Wireless problems - ath9k on Ubuntu 9.10

I am experiencing the exact same problem, except with an Acer Aspire 5732z. I am anxiously awaiting a solution, as it is very frustrating.

Beans

Very annoying bug. I've had this problem since upgrading to karmic on my aspire 5810. I had no problems under 9.04.

It seems specific to the ath9k drivers, as my external adapter works flawlessly.

After some googling, It appears to be a bug in the 2.6.31 kernel and not an ubuntu-specific bug.

There are some patches in wireless-testing that will fix the issue, but reportedly at the expense of traffic speed and CPU usage. See this post to the ath9k-devel list for more info.

Beans

i'm sadly still getting this problem, just wondering if anyone else has been able to resolve?

I did start to think it could've been some wireless headphones i have interferring but have since realised I get disconnected even when it's all powered off and physically unplugged, including when my laptop is the only wireless device on in the house (other than the router )...

I've scanned for other networks and only my neighbour has another wireless network which is at the opposite end of the channel spectrum. I've also changed my wireless channel multiple times just in case.

I also installed a newer firmware on my router to no avail...

i've got 32bit 9.10 netbook remix working on an eee 901 and that's working 100% fine.

In a last ditch attempt to fix I even wiped the laptop and did another fresh install of 32bit 9.10, but it didn't work.

I did even try 64bit which, during the hour or so it was on there, didn't disconnect me, but flash does not work very well in 64bit so not really an option for me.

bit gutted really - having to reboot so frequently is turning into a bit of a show stopper for me

Beans

as a last ditch attempt tonight i've tried the fix here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1137780

I know it's not for the same issue, but like i said - last ditch attempt.

I had to modify it a little - sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic - and didn't install wicd, but my wireless has stayed connected for the last 20 minutes after rebooting, and has direct downloaded 160 meg of an ISO while downloading 2 other ISOs via bittorrent.

will have to leave it longer to know for sure that it's not just randomly not manifesting itself...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey I was having the exact same problem that you guys are describing. My fix was to download the latest compat-wireless drivers...

http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...ss-2.6.tar.bz2

After you extract the tarball, run ./scripts/driver-select ath9k
    Then run make and sudo make install

Problem fixed!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by warden976 View Post
    I had to modify it a little - sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic
    If your Atheros chipset is using ath9k and you've got a flaky connection, that's the way to go. I installed the package linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic as well. Ever since, my Atheros wireless has been steady as a rock.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    If your Atheros chipset is using ath9k and you've got a flaky connection, that's the way to go. I installed the package linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic as well. Ever since, my Atheros wireless has been steady as a rock.
    turns out the backports hadn't fixed the issue, so i've gone for a 64 bit install and installed both sets of backports. found a good post on getting 64 bit flash working with 10.0 (apparently 10.1 isn't working yet), so now just fingers crossed with the wireless.

Beans

turns out the backports hadn't fixed the issue, so i've gone for a 64 bit install and installed both sets of backports. found a good post on getting 64 bit flash working with 10.0 (apparently 10.1 isn't working yet), so now just fingers crossed with the wireless.

3 hours up and counting - best it's been in weeks.

Beans

3 hours up and counting - best it's been in weeks.
    5 hours uptime now - this is much better.

i ran sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic followed by sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic (thanks coffeecat) and rebooted.

Another noticeable difference is the signal is now seeming to flux between 70% and 90% rather than 10% to 30%.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast