Thread: Kubuntu 9.10 (Second try)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Kubuntu 9.10 (Second try)

So my first install of Kubuntu 9.10 didn't go too well. Mostly because the last time I seriously used KDE was with KDE 3.5.

Many things have changed

During this weeks LUG meeting I was convinced to give Kubuntu 9.10 another try. After learning (and still am) all the new functions of KDE 4.X I have got to say it's really smooth. Compiz integration is well done, at times it consumes less system resources than GNOME, and there is virtually nothing that cannot easily be tweaked to your liking.

GTK+ integration is flawless. My favorite GTK+ apps such as Banshee get the same treatment when it comes to themes, fonts, and other appearance settings.

I have also found it be be faster than GNOME in areas such as boot up, and coming back from suspend/resume., and program loading.

Thomasaaron, I do not get that CPU cycle issue anymore with this fresh install.

All that said KDE 4.3 is not as stable as GNOME, and has a little bit to go before it's ready for any production machine.

I would say by KDE 4.5 it will be, and after doing some reading about the future of KDE I would have to say I foresee KDE will be the dominate Desktop Environment on conventional Desktop/Laptop, and GNOME leading the way with Linux based MIDs, Tablets, and other future computing devices. Not so much netbooks as Moblin, and Google Chrome OS will probably have control of those.

Any thoughts?

Also to the people that are having upgrade issues. In future releases I would recommend only doing fresh installs, it's not like Ubuntu goes through 6+ months of upgrade testing. If you're not the kind of person that hates the occasional hiccups then stick with LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 (Second try)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Machine View Post
    So my first install of Kubuntu 9.10 didn't go too well. Mostly because the last time I seriously used KDE was with KDE 3.5.

Many things have changed

During this weeks LUG meeting I was convinced to give Kubuntu 9.10 another try. After learning (and still am) all the new functions of KDE 4.X I have got to say it's really smooth. Compiz integration is well done, at times it consumes less system resources than GNOME, and there is virtually nothing that cannot easily be tweaked to your liking.

GTK+ integration is flawless. My favorite GTK+ apps such as Banshee get the same treatment when it comes to themes, fonts, and other appearance settings.

I have also found it be be faster than GNOME in areas such as boot up, and coming back from suspend/resume., and program loading.

Thomasaaron, I do not get that CPU cycle issue anymore with this fresh install.

All that said KDE 4.3 is not as stable as GNOME, and has a little bit to go before it's ready for any production machine.

I would say by KDE 4.5 it will be, and after doing some reading about the future of KDE I would have to say I foresee KDE will be the dominate Desktop Environment on conventional Desktop/Laptop, and GNOME leading the way with Linux based MIDs, Tablets, and other future computing devices. Not so much netbooks as Moblin, and Google Chrome OS will probably have control of those.

Any thoughts?

Also to the people that are having upgrade issues. In future releases I would recommend only doing fresh installs, it's not like Ubuntu goes through 6+ months of upgrade testing. If you're not the kind of person that hates the occasional hiccups then stick with LTS.
    I think I might be in the minority with Fluxbox

jdb

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 (Second try)

I've been using KdE for quite a while, and so far my only real complaint is occasionally kwin gets a little funky and starts eating cpu, that's easy to fix though by just logging out and back in when I feel like it. And one other complaint, finding a nice subtle dark theme, one that doesn't put black text in a blue background text box lol.

It took me a while to go from 3.5 to 4.0, but I do like the transition (granted I changed kicker back to old style). The biggest P.I.T.A. was that no one had told me about Folder View, so that was a headache resolved after a week of fighting and then finally googled an answer.

If there's any widget/tool I could HIGHLY recommend, it's "Quick Access" nice panel quick browse tool... VERY handy imho...