Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: *-network UNCLAIMED - so how do I 'claim' it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: *-network UNCLAIMED - so how do I 'claim' it?

Quote Originally Posted by Glornax View Post
    So I have managed to do even worse, and this is the situation for both my Ethernet and Wireless connections! Is there a way of finding out which particular drivers I need, and installing them from a USB stick or something?

I have a Realtek RTL8111/8168B ethernet controller, and a Intel Centrino Wireless-N Network controller.

Any ideas?
    Assuming you are running 12.04 or later, the driver for your ethernet is r8169 and for your wireless iwlwifi. Both are already installed by default. If they are not loading automatically, something else may be wrong. Let's try to troubleshoot your wireless. Please open a terminal and do:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi
    dmesg | grep iwl
    rfkill list all
    lsb_release -d
    That pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \.

Post the results and we'll figure out what's wrong.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I have a similar problem! I have a brand new system with an AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet controller, and I see that I need to download and install a new driver in order for Ubuntu to be able to access my network, and therefore, the internet. But how in the heck can you download and install the driver if you can't get on the internet through the Ubuntu install (or livecd or usb)? On my system, I am trying to do a dual boot with ******* 7 where I have internet access. Can I download onto a usb and transfer or something, or download while booted on windows and save to a hard disk file or something, somehow, in order to get that driver to marry with my Ubuntu installation? I have been grinding away for 2 weeks on this issue. I have had lessons on how to build a driver from scratch, (but it required internet access), how to download a new driver recently minted (but it required internet access), but am still dead in the water. If you can help with a detailed suggestion, you will be my hero!!

Beans
    Distro

Can I download onto a usb and transfer
    Exactly! Before we proceed, let's verify the exact device. It is likely that someone else has the same device and therefor the same solution applies. Please open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0200
    The pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \.

Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Excellent! Thanks!!!

Here is what I get when I run the command you suggested:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci -nn | grep 0200
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet [1969:1091] (rev 10)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

I am currently running Ubuntu off of a liveCD (so I imagine if I install a new driver via usB or whatever your idea is to solve this problem, this would need to be done after I actually install Ubuntu, or during the install process, or something.. perhaps there is a way to test to see if this proposed solution works when I am running Ubuntu off of livecd?)

Beans
    Distro

We know it works. If it were me, I'd install it first and then install the ethernet driver. It uses the driver alx.
    Code:
    $ modinfo Desktop/Forum/compat-wireless-3.6.8-1-snpc/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/alx/alx.ko | grep 1091
    alias:          pci:v00001969d00001091sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    Here is a thread that describes the process, including the 'no internet' conumdrum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2050126

Please see post #6 and following. If you are installing 12.10, substitute quantal for each occurence of precise here.

You could download linux-backports-modules-cw-quantal-generic. However, its dependencies are every bit as challenging.

Last, I'd suggest this package instead of that in the thread I linked: compat-wireless-3.6.8-1-snpc.

Post back any questions or concerns.

If wireless is an option, we can be done in three minutes!

Beans

This is fantastic. I have reviewed the links and process you suggest, and noted the great acclaim you received from the other person for your easy to follow directions. The pressure is on for me to not look like an idiot and screw this up and ask for more help! First I will install Ubuntu and study the details, and give it a try. I am doing this at work, with pesky customers taking priority so it might take me anywhere from an hour to a day to get back at this, but I will surely come back and mark this SOLVED assuming it all works (as I am highly confident it will!) Or ask for your patience on another dumb question or two as the case may be. Thank you SO much!

Beans
    Distro

Ask all the questions you want. That's what I do and I enjoy it. I look forward to your success!

Beans

Ok, I installed 12.04 64 bit Ubuntu. Have a small problem (I think small), as I can not access windows 7 on the dual boot. I assume I have some maintenance on my grub file or something, and hope once I get internet on my Ubuntu I can resolve that. But I have a "newbie" question on getting the driver and components necessary onto the USB drive to sneaker-net them over to my desktop. I went to post #6 as you suggested. I downloaded "build-essential", "dpkg-dev", "g++", "gcc", "libc6", and "make" files, and simply copied them to the USB (I assume I don't have to burn them or some darn thing). Then I noted the instructions said I needed to get the linux headers. "uname -r" says the following:

3.2.0-29-generic

The instructions also say this:

"This package depends on the headers matching your running kernel. That means that, in addition to the 'generic' or generic-pae' package, you'll also need linux-headers for your kernel. For example, if the uname -r command shows that you are running 3.2.0-23-generic, you will need linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic."

I assume that I need to copy to my USB another file here, but the file that I find to download at the referenced link is this:

Exact hits

Package linux-headers-generic

precise (devel): Generic Linux kernel headers
    3.2.0.37.45 [security]: amd64 i386

So here is my question: since the instructions say I need an EXACT MATCH to my header, and my "uname -r" said I am 3.2.0-23-generic, and this one at the link says "3.2.0.37.45", is THIS the file (64 bit version) that I need to download and copy to the USB even though it doesn't match the 3.2.0-23? My head hurts but I am hanging in there....

Beans
    Distro

my "uname -r" said I am 3.2.0-23-generic,
    Then you need this: http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/l...2.0-23-generic

Be sure you need 32- or 64-bit:
    Code:
    arch
    32-bit will return i686 and 64-bit returns x86_64.

You are doing well so far; keep on keepin' on!

Beans

okay, I think I'm getting closer. One thing - when I saw the red dots meaning that there was a dependency on the files, and then click on the red dotted file, and I find yet another page with more red dotted files, am I supposed to copy all of those as well, and keep nesting until there are no more red dotted files? If so, I am probably missing some. But anyway, I dragged all the files to the desktop and typed "cd desktop" in a terminal. No such file or directory. So then I figured maybe I was already in the desktop by default? Anyway, then I typed sudo dpkg -i *deb. It asked for my password. Encouraging. Then it said "error processing *.deb (--install): cannot access archive: no such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing *.deb. I am truly a neophyte at the command line. What is the stupid command to be in the right directory here? (I used to know how to do this about a hundred years ago with DOS - looks vaguely familiar...)

Thank you once again! I'm making a career out of this but I smell victory ahead!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast