Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 and ati radeon hd3450

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

9.10 and ati radeon hd3450

i have an ati radeon hd3450 512mb graphics card and it didn't seem to work at all with 9.10. i tried to boot from the live cd but it would only boot to a text login. whats really weird is that the text login kept blinking and i could only type a letter when i could see the text (which made typing the password impossible because i couldn't tell if i had typed anything or not). Anyway, i installed ubuntu with the alternate cd and then tried to boot from the harddrive, but it did the same thing as with the live cd. finally i put my older nvidia card in there just for now.

i really want to get my ati card to work. i looked at their website and it seems like it supports linux. i then checked in 9.10 software repositories and found an "ati catalyst control center" or something like that. is that the driver i need? or something else? how would i go about installing it? install it first and then shutdown and put the video card in? or something else?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: 9.10 and ati radeon hd3450

I slapped the same card in my pc and had the same probem. I would really like to get this card working because it has hdmi.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by thomz92 View Post
    i have an ati radeon hd3450 512mb graphics card and it didn't seem to work at all with 9.10. i tried to boot from the live cd but it would only boot to a text login. whats really weird is that the text login kept blinking and i could only type a letter when i could see the text (which made typing the password impossible because i couldn't tell if i had typed anything or not). Anyway, i installed ubuntu with the alternate cd and then tried to boot from the harddrive, but it did the same thing as with the live cd. finally i put my older nvidia card in there just for now.

i really want to get my ati card to work. i looked at their website and it seems like it supports linux. i then checked in 9.10 software repositories and found an "ati catalyst control center" or something like that. is that the driver i need? or something else? how would i go about installing it? install it first and then shutdown and put the video card in? or something else?

thanks
    i have an ati hd3650, which is a similar card to yours.
    you have a couple of options at this point.

install the ubuntu drivers (may have problems with high xorg memory use, see
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/xserver-x...sa/+bug/450048)

install the drivers using envyng
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-core
    sudo envyng -t
    or downloading the driver from the ati site and installing it.

using envyng is preferred.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

has anybody had any success with envyng and hd3450?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

+1 Does EnvyNG fix it? (btw: this is available from Applications -> Ubuntu Software Centre -> System Tools)

I have an HD 3400 but will wait for 2.6.32.
    KMS support for R6xx and R7xx GPUs of the Radeon HD series 2000, 3000 and 4000 will be added in Linux 2.6.32.
    See h-online for more details and follow the links.
    Work Laptop -- Xubuntu 12.04
    Home PC -- Xubuntu 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump...

Beans

be careful, but you can easily try the 2.6.32 with:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...e/v2.6.32-rc6/

Beans

See if the 9.04 live cd works. If it works you might be able to install, then upgrade to 9.10

I am curious about this issue though...I have a 3650, but I haven't used the 9.10 live cd yet.
    Support 7z in default installs!!!: Click Here

How to use code blocks to post command output: Click Here
    Official Ubuntu Documentation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i think i'm gonna end up selling this card and buying an nvidia one or something. i heard some people got it working but there were weird bugs and stuff and i dont want to mess around with that. thanks anyway!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carlee View Post
    i have an ati hd3650, which is a similar card to yours.
    you have a couple of options at this point.

install the ubuntu drivers (may have problems with high xorg memory use, see
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/xserver-x...sa/+bug/450048)

install the drivers using envyng
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-core
    sudo envyng -t
    or downloading the driver from the ati site and installing it.

using envyng is preferred.
    actually I would go
    1. - Ubuntu hardware drivers
    2. download from ati site and install
    3. envy

reason I list envy last is because alot of people have issues that come into the IRC chat where envy has hosed systems. I agree its nice and easy but it does cause issues.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast