Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your school and Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Your school and Linux.

Mine doesn't really care about Linux, recently they've bought some new computers that came with Linux installed (some low-quality distro called Satux), the first thing they've done was to install Windows XP (yes, an almost-one-decade-old OS in new computers), and they even forgot to change the resolution of the screens, so that shiny new 22" are using 1024x768.
    Last edited by Marlonsm; November 5th, 2009 at 01:20 AM.
    Ubuntu User #27453 | Linux User #490358
    "Don't preach Linux, mention it"
    "Linux is not Windows"
    73% of statistics in forums are made up on the spot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kavon89 View Post
    I'd guess it's RHEL, and that kernel is from 2004.

EDIT: It definitely is RHEL 4.8
    Thanks for the info.

They are running 2.6.18 on a different cluster which has Mathematica, Matlab, SPSS, etc.

There's no real reason to upgrade the server frequently if things are working.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post
    Thanks for the info.

They are running 2.6.18 on a different cluster which has Mathematica, Matlab, SPSS, etc.

There's no real reason to upgrade the server frequently if things are working.
    2.6.18 was released with RHEL 5 and is most likely the only distro still using that kernel too. I agree with keeping the older yet fully maintained kernel for a production environment such as RHEL.
    ThinkPad R61 14" | Fedora 14 | Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz | 4GB DDR2 | 64GB SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My school doesn't have much of a Linux presence. There is one course about Linux - NOS 120, "Linux/Unix Single User". "This course develops the necessary skills for students to develop both GUI and command line skills for using and customizing a Linux workstation. Topics include Linux file system and access permissions, GNOME Interface, VI editor, X Window System expression pattern matching [sic - probably something got chopped out here], I/O redirection, network and printing utilities. Upon completion, students should be able to customize and use Linux systems for command line requirements and desktop productivity roles." Unsurprisingly, it's taught by an adjunct.

Beyond that, it's mostly Windows in classrooms, labs and library, though people in Photography and Design use Macs. Once my CIS 110 (intro computer course) teacher said that Linux is for nerds, an occurrence that my Mac-fan sister frequently reminds me of.

Occasionally, I pop in my tweaked Xubuntu Live CD when I need to get some real work done on some of the worse Windows boxen.
    Regards, PacSci
    Windows is to Linux as a straw house is to a brick house. The bricks are harder to get started with, but they're higher quality and won't crash as easily.
    Any quotes in the above post may have been edited for spelling and grammar.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Most of my school has never even heard of Linux

Beans
    Hidden!

When I was in school, we studied windows. But at the time of my juniors, inspired by Mr Stallmann , the government changed the policy , and every where in the state, linux is being taught (custom debian) .

In my college, in the centralised computer centre, debian is being used. And for the study of c programming , linux terminal, gcc compiler etc are used

But Iam not sure what the teachers and others think about linux . I think many don't have good impression about linux due the ugly look of the Gnome in computer centre (it's debian stable and is not the latest stable version) . Atleast my friends don't have . When I get time, I go there and try to make them beautiful.
    Last edited by praveesh; November 5th, 2009 at 04:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i asked some of my teachers they replied "whats linux?"
    Registered Linux user # 498664 Ubuntu User # 31004
    Thinkpad T410/ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aldld View Post
    Most of my school has never even heard of Linux
    Quote Originally Posted by note32 View Post
    i asked some of my teachers they replied "whats linux?"
    Same for me.

When my teacher asked if anyone knew what a browser was, some one responded, "Yeah, it's that Google thing".

Beans

I have not been in university for 11 years.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In my high school, it was either windows or mac. A lot of the computer labs had old macs since they were mainly used for typing papers. Some labs had newer XP machines. The Graphics arts had nicer macs for running photoshop and illustrator. I think the cad lab had windows machines but I can't remember.

I recently went back to the school for a job and I saw all the new computers. Looks like they switched over to a lot of Win machines.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast