Thread: things I'm missing in ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Post things I'm missing in ubuntu

this was in my signature since 9.04 and I decided to make a topic out of it and add few items.

- a (yet) better network manager (nm07 is almost there)
    - a nicier file copier handler (rsync alike)
    - a more compact-looking theme (i want more screen space!)
    - a bigger log/cache for *system monitor* (no geek stuff)
    - "time machine"

not much more else, ubuntu is great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: things I'm missing in ubuntu

For the network manager, try wicd. It uses a client/server module, so if you have it configured to automatically connect to a network, its connected by the time you can log in.

As far as more compact themes, You can always consolidate the default 2 panels into 1, and then even shrink that panel a few pixels.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

If I may jump on this train: I think a display manager is a must. More and more PCs are laptops nowadays. Currently one cannot just plug in an external projector to give a presentation -- it's possible, but involves using the terminal. So many things work so nicely in Ubuntu right after setting up the system. I think this one missing feature is a huge oversight (IMHO).
    Last edited by bovender; November 4th, 2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: typo
    Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial' 64-bit on a Thinkpad T430s (2356AB2) - Intel Core i5 3320M - 16 GB RAM - on-board Intel Ivybridge graphics

Beans
    Hidden!

lazy_leukocyte on my laptop I can plug in a external monitor and just hit fn+f5 to switch to the external monitor hit it again to dual view and a third time to go back to built in only.

It does not get much easier then that.
    Running Linux From Scratch for over 7 and a half years on my desktop
    Running Ubuntu on my laptop since I bought it

Beans
    Distro

darkshadow, you're right, it can't get much easier than that. But why does it not work on my system? I hit Fn+F7 (the Thinkpad combination), and nothing happens... Oh well, the screen goes black for a second, but then it's back again and I don't see anything on the external monitor...
    Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial' 64-bit on a Thinkpad T430s (2356AB2) - Intel Core i5 3320M - 16 GB RAM - on-board Intel Ivybridge graphics

Beans
    Hidden!

Any chance it could be a keyboard layout issue since I always make sure to choose the best so my multimedia keys all work. Try making sure you are not on generic 105 or something. It is a slim hope but maybe
    Running Linux From Scratch for over 7 and a half years on my desktop
    Running Ubuntu on my laptop since I bought it

Beans
    Distro

Thanks darkshadow. Indeed I had a generic keyboard layout, which I switched to the appropriate Thinkpad T61 layout. But that did not change anything.

I'll open up another thread on this, I really should get this to work somehow.