Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: sh:grub > desperation

Beans

Re: sh:grub > desperation

I have exactly the same problem - stuck at sh:grub> after system update yesterday and have no idea what to do (new to Ubuntu).

I will bre following this topick and bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/484799) for the solutions.

If you know more sources to follow or solution - please post here.

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

WUBI Installs Only

I tried wubi when it first came out a few years ago but am no longer familiar with exactly how it works. There were enough problems recently that I rearranged my laptop's partitions so I could once again install wubi. Once I got wubi installed, I experimented until I could boot from a grub prompt.

This is how I am able to manually boot from the Grub 2 prompt in wubi. My Windows partition is on sda1, which would be fairly standard.

Lines starting with a # are explanatory only. Do not type them.

# Add the ntfs module
    insmod ntfs
    # Set root (normally would be sda1, or hd0,1 Change as necessary
    set root=(hd0,1)
    loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk

# Yes, set root for a second time. I don't know why...
    set root=(loop0)
    # Set the kernel. You can (and should) use Tab (twice) to complete entries such as the kernel when possible - type vml and then TAB twice and it will autocomplete to the point where there are two possibilities. Tab complete ensures the path/file names as typed exist. Additionally, if you suspect the new kernel is the problem, you might want to select an earlier one. vmlinuz.... should be a complete kernel entry such as "vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic-pae" *
    linux /boot/vmlinuz.... root=/dev/sda1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro
    # Set the initrd image - complete or tab to get the full name Example: "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic-pae"
    initrd /boot/initrd/initrd.img...
    # Boot.
    boot

* If this line scrolls off the screen as you type it, due to its length: To make it easier type "linux root=/dev/sda1 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro" and then cursor back before "root=" to type/tab in the kernel name.

If you successfully boot, run "sudo update-grub". Also inspect your /etc/default/grub file, which contains menu timeout and default kernel selections and determine if there is a problem with the menu.
    Last edited by drs305; November 26th, 2009 at 07:24 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Smile Re: sh:grub > desperation

Hello,

I had the same problem with the installation of Ubuntu with wubi. Once I installed the updates I saw grub and the system couldn't lunch the graphical interface. But I did something that helped me.

1º Install Ubuntu inside Windows with wubi

2º Install all the updates for Ubuntu when they appear or do it yourself manually

3º After installing the updates when the system asks you to reboot don't do it. Go to the Terminal (Applications/Accessories/Terminal)

4º In the Terminal write: sudo update-grub2 (press enter and write your password if required)

5º Now restart

And that's all

That worked for me.

Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Canaryguy View Post
    Hello,

I had the same problem with the installation of Ubuntu with wubi. Once I installed the updates I saw grub and the system couldn't lunch the graphical interface. But I did something that helped me.

That worked for me.
    Not a bad insurance policy.

For some background, when Ubuntu installs something which will effect Grub 2, it is supposed to, and usually does run update-grub before it asks you to reboot. If you are using a GUI installer/updater, you can see it run update-grub in the details window. Therefore, the system should be searched and the menus updated to account for new kernels, etc.

Of course, if you have custom menus or have disabled any of the /etc/grub.d files those menus will not be updated.

If the system works as it should, when it asks if I want to install the maintainer's version, I don't answer until I've made a copy of the current file(s). Then I accept the maintainer's new version.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs up Re: sh:grub > desperation

Hello,

I installed Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic 2 weeks ago and am facing the same problem, I installed an update and it asked to reboot, then it stuck to sh:grub>_ shell. I followed [drs305]'s advice and I could boot, so I immediately executed grub2-update from a terminal, and rebooted, but I was still stuck at the shell, no menu!

In fact, it lloks like the update has not broken anything, it just disabled the menu. So now, it works, but I have to type 7 commands at each boot, so does anyone know how to enable the menu back?

Thank you,
    louis_haeb

P.S. Sorry for my poor English, it's not my first language.

Beans
    Distro

are u using Wubi, or a dual install ?

Phill.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by louis.haeb View Post
    Hello,

I installed Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic 2 weeks ago and am facing the same problem, I installed an update and it asked to reboot, then it stuck to sh:grub>_ shell. I followed [drs305]'s advice and I could boot, so I immediately executed grub2-update from a terminal, and rebooted, but I was still stuck at the shell, no menu!

In fact, it lloks like the update has not broken anything, it just disabled the menu. So now, it works, but I have to type 7 commands at each boot, so does anyone know how to enable the menu back?

Thank you,
    louis_haeb

P.S. Sorry for my poor English, it's not my first language.

Wubi .....

WUBI Installs Only

I tried wubi when it first came out a few years ago but am no longer familiar with exactly how it works. There were enough problems recently that I rearranged my laptop's partitions so I could once again install wubi. Once I got wubi installed, I experimented until I could boot from a grub prompt.

This is how I am able to manually boot from the Grub 2 prompt in wubi. My Windows partition is on sda1, which would be fairly standard.

Lines starting with a # are explanatory only. Do not type them.

Quote:
    # Add the ntfs module
    insmod ntfs
    # Set root (normally would be sda1, or hd0,1 Change as necessary
    set root=(hd0,1)
    loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk

# Yes, set root for a second time. I don't know why...
    set root=(loop0)
    # Set the kernel. You can (and should) use Tab (twice) to complete entries such as the kernel when possible - type vml and then TAB twice and it will autocomplete to the point where there are two possibilities. Tab complete ensures the path/file names as typed exist. Additionally, if you suspect the new kernel is the problem, you might want to select an earlier one. vmlinuz.... should be a complete kernel entry such as "vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic-pae" *
    linux /boot/vmlinuz.... root=/dev/sda1 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro
    # Set the initrd image - complete or tab to get the full name Example: "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-15-generic-pae"
    initrd /boot/initrd/initrd.img...
    # Boot.
    boot

* If this line scrolls off the screen as you type it, due to its length: To make it easier type "linux root=/dev/sda1 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro" and then cursor back before "root=" to type/tab in the kernel name.

If you successfully boot, run "sudo update-grub". Also inspect your /etc/default/grub file, which contains menu timeout and default kernel selections and determine if there is a problem with the menu.
    Last edited by drs305; 1 Hour Ago at 06:24 PM. We do need someone to try this out & report back if it works.
    Dual Boot

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708

Re-install Grub2 ..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275 Reinstalling is about step 11

For any other info - follow Drs's signature links.

/edit - he's on holiday for 2 weeks - a well deserved holiday, I may say, & he's left us the best instructions humanly possible.

Regards,

Phill.
    Last edited by phillw; November 28th, 2009 at 07:46 PM. Reason: holiday

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am using Wubi. I did what [drs305] advised for wubi installs, and I am able to boot, but even if I run update-grub2, the boot menu won't appear and I have to type in all the 7 commands to boot. Would purging grub2 and installing Grub 0.97 fix that? If I do it, will [drs305] commands still work to boot my OS?

Thank you very much for your quick answer,

louis.haeb

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by louis.haeb View Post
    I am using Wubi. I did what [drs305] advised for wubi installs, and I am able to boot, but even if I run update-grub2, the boot menu won't appear and I have to type in all the 7 commands to boot. Would purging grub2 and installing Grub 0.97 fix that? If I do it, will [drs305] commands still work to boot my OS?

Thank you very much for your quick answer,

louis.haeb
    Have you checked this ??

Adding Entries to Grub 2
    Menu entries can be added to grub.cfg automatically or manually.
    • Automatically.
      • When "update-grub" or "update-grub2" is executed, Grub 2 will search for linux kernels and other Operating Systems. What and where is looks is based on the files contained in /etc/grub.d folder.
        • 10_linux searches for installed linux kernels on the same partition.
        • 30_os-prober searches for other operating systems.

A fuller discussion of Grub2 can be found here --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

I don't have a wubi area to 'play' with, but my instinct would be re-install Grub2 via his instructions, and check the grub.d folder - There is also a manual way of doing it in the same area. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ridiculous.
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast